William Harris Crawford Letters,1814-1828
- William Harris Crawford Letters,1814-1828
- Crawford, William Harris, 1772-1834
- 7 items
- Cherokee Indians-- History-- Sources.
- Cherokee Indians-- History-- 19th century.
- Clay, Henry, 1777-1852-- Correspondence.
- Governors-- Kentucky-- Correspondence.
- Legislators-- United States-- Correspondence.
- Politicians-- Kentucky-- Correspondence.
- Public works-- Kentucky-- History-- Sources.
- Public works-- Kentucky-- History-- 19th century.
- Transportation-- Kentucky-- History-- Sources.
- Transportation-- Kentucky-- History-- 19th century.
- United States-- History-- War of 1812-- Sources.
- United States-- Politics and government-- War of 1812-- Sources.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- U.S. senator, secretary of war, politician. Collection includes five letters written by Crawford to Henry Clay on several subjects, notably the War of 1812 and the peace treaty negotiations, the Essex Junto, and the Cherokees in Georgia; and one letter from Clay to Crawford. Also included is Crawford's 26 May 1818 circular to Kentucky Governor Gabriel Slaughter transmitting a resolution of the House of Representatives regarding a plan of federally funded internal improvements and requesting Slaughter to communicate all public improvements being carried on or planned by the State of Kentucky and private companies