Louisville Colonels Scrapbook, circa 1947-1948

Descriptive Summary

Title
Louisville Colonels Scrapbook, circa 1947-1948
Creator
Louisville Colonels
Extent
.375 linear foot
Repository
University of Louisville

Collection Overview

Biography / History
The Louisville Colonels were formed in 1901 and became a charter member of the new American Association in 1902. The team was privately owned from 1902 through 1938, but in the later years was partially or wholly owned as a farm club by a major league team, mainly the Boston Red Sox. Affiliation with the Red Sox ended in 1955 and in 1962 the American Association disbanded, leaving Louisville without a professional baseball team. Another Louisville Colonels team was organized in 1968 and played until 1972.
The Louisville Colonels played at Eclipse Park, located at Seventh and Kentucky Streets from 1902-1922, when the stadium burned. The team then moved to a new steel and concrete stadium at Parkway Field, now located on the campus of the University of Louisville. In 1956 the team moved its home games to the stadium at the Kentucky State Fairgrounds.
Scope and Content
This collection of newspaper articles on the Louisville Colonels, was purchased by the donor and then given to the University Archives and Records Center. Due the condition of the paper backing and the clippings themselves, the scrapbook was photocopied and discarded.