Hazel Green Academy Records,1886-1982

Descriptive Summary

Title
Hazel Green Academy Records,1886-1982
Creator
Hazel Green Academy
Extent
54 microfilm reels; 87 items
Subjects
Wolfe County, Kentucky -- Water supply
Organizations, missionary -- Disciples of Christ Church -- Christian Woman's Board of Missions
Organizations, women's -- Disciples of ChristChurch -- Christian Woman's Board of Missions
Organizations, missionary -- United Christian Missionary Society
Hazel Green, Kentucky -- Hazel Green Academy
Curriculum -- Hazel Green Academy
Schools, settlement -- Hazel Green Academy
Wolfe County, Kentucky -- Schools, settlement
Appalachia -- Schools, settlement
Wolfe County, Kentucky -- Hospitals
Wolfe County, Kentucky -- Farms, demonstration
Wolfe County, Kentucky -- Kindergartens
Wolfe County, Kentucky -- Electricity
Finding Aid Author
Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:M. Plarr
Repository
Berea College

Collection Overview

Biography / History
The Academy was founded by W. O. Mize, J. T. Day, and Green Berry Swango in 1880, the only school within a fifty mile radius offering secondary education. It became affiliated with the Christian Woman's Board of Missions of the Disciples of Christ Church in 1886. In 1919, another Disciples of Christ organization, the United Christian Missionary Society, became the Academy's governing body, and remained so until 1971 when the Academy became an independent institution affiliated with the Disciples of Christ Church.
Hazel Green Academy began as a boarding school and remained so until 1983. Grades one through twelve were offered until 1929, when grades one through six were discontinued; in 1965, grades seven and eight were also dropped. The curriculum consisted of college preparatory classes, although at various times a normal school, ministry training courses, and business courses were offered.
In the administration of Henry Stovall, beginning in 1928, the Academy became more involved in community service by establishing a hospital, a demonstration farm, a kindergarten, and a used clothing store. The Academy also supplied its own water and electricity, and furnished the town with electricity as well. By the 1960s, however, the school began struggling to compete with the public schools which were more accessible because of better roads. After many studies and efforts to attract students in the 1970s, the school did not open in the fall of 1983. It was renamed the Hazel Green Christian Center and retained a small staff.
Scope and Content
These records document the Academy, which was located at Hazel Green in Wolfe County, Kentucky.