Kain (Richard M.) Papers, 1937-1977
- Kain (Richard M.) Papers, 1937-1977
- Kain, Richard M., 1908-1990
- ca. 12,000 volumes, 57 linear ft.
- University of Louisville
- Biography / History
- Richard Morgan Kain was born on December 19, 1908 in York, Pennsylvania. He was educated at York Collegiate Institute and Swathmore College where he received his A.B. in 1930, graduating with highest honors. Other honors included election to Phi Beta Kappa and nomination for a Rhodes Scholarship. He attained his M.A. in 1931, and his Ph.D. in 1934 from the University of Chicago. Kain also studied at Harvard University.
- Dr. Kain began teaching in 1933 at Augustana College in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and continued at Ohio Wesleyan University from 1934 to 1940. In 1940, he came to the University of Louisville as an associate professor and was tenured in 1947. He accepted visiting professorships at Northwestern in 1948, Harvard in 1950, the University of Colorado in 1959, was a Fulbright scholar at the University of Venice in 1961 and 1962, and was at the University of Massachusetts in 1963 as a Centennial lecturer. Other assignments include the University of Washington in 1966, and University College in Dublin in 1972. He accepted lectureships at the American Seminar in Rome in 1962; James Joyce Tower, Dublin, in 1962; the Yeats International Summer School in 1961 and 1967; and the Peter Rushton Lectureship at the University of Virginia in 1964. In addition to these accomplishments, Dr. Kain was chosen Chairman of the Humanities Department in July of 1963 and maintained this position until 1969. In 1970, he was elected the first faculty member to serve on the Board of Overseers. He was active as a rare book collector and was a benefactor of the Rare Book Collection at Ekstrom Library, University of Louisville.
- Dr. Richard Morgan Kain had several works published, three of which are represented in these papers: Joyce, the Man, the Work, the Reputation; Susan Mitchell; and The Workshop of Daedalus. He wrote well over one hundred articles and reviews, a large number also contained in the collection. Dr. Kain is listed in the Directory of American Scholars, Personalities of the South, Who's Who in America, Dictionary of International Biography, International Scholars Directory, and the Authors and Writers Who's Who.
- Dr. Kain was active in Louisville's community life. In 1958, he served as chairman of Save Our Parks, which opposed the routing of Interstate 64 through Cherokee and Seneca Parks. He was affiliated with the English Speaking Union, and the Harmony Landing Country Club. He died on April 4, 1990.
- Scope and Content
- The Richard Morgan Kain Papers, 1937-1977, are professional in nature, documenting the development of his teaching and writing abilities and provide little information on Kain outside of his scholarly pursuits. The material is arranged topically, and arranged in series: personal papers, teaching papers, and administrative papers. The material includes teaching notes and lectures, professional and private correspondence, rough drafts of manuscripts, student papers, memorandums, newspaper clippings, and various academically related articles. Many documents in this collection are vague as to their original purpose, and may be either teaching notes or rough drafts.
- The personal papers are divided into four groups: Kain's correspondence, his literary productions, his outside interests, and miscellaneous writings and articles. Kain's correspondence encompasses the years 1951-1977. They concern matters such as letters to the editor, contracts, literary advice, and personal mail. The second group contains rough drafts and notes from his various published essays and books, including The Workshop of Daedalus; Susan Mitchell; and Joyce, the Man, the Work, the Reputation. There are also extensive bibliographies on James Joyce and William Butler Yeats. The third group contains material illustrating his outside interests, including his interest in the library holdings and rare book collection at Ekstrom Library in Louisville and an extensive collection of materials concerning the Save the Parks drive from the early 1960's. The last group of material contains miscellaneous articles, letters and reprints.
- The teaching papers are an accumulation of notes and lectures from 1937 up to 1972. The notes and lecture material are representative of topics included in literary survey courses, poetry, drama, writing and literature. Student papers, tests, and essays make up a second group of the teaching papers. The teaching notes, lectures and various student works document classes taught at the University of Louisville, and during his sundry visiting lectureships.
- The administrative papers are divided into two categories. The first traces Dr. Kain's administrative duties during his tenure as chairman of the English department. It includes correspondence, minutes, graduate student recommendations, economic and academic reports and requests. The second group contains papers and documents on various university related administrative matters outside the english department.
Contents of the Collection
I Personal Papers
A - Correspondence
Kain: Prof mail, 1951-59
Kain: Prof mail, 1960
Kain: Prof mail, 1961
Kain: Prof mail, 1962
Kain: Prof mail, 1963
Kain: Prof mail, 1964
Kain: Prof mail, 1963
Kain: Mail, 1966-67
Kain: Mail, 1967-71
Kain: Mail, 1971-76
Kain: Mail, 1977
Kain: Sales Bill, 1961-77
Kain: Contracts, 1942-71
Anthology Permissions- correspondence
Correspondence- Goodbody and Co.
Viking paperbacks (concerning Fabulous Voyager)
Letters on Workshop (1)
Letters on Workshop (2)
Nigeria - WBY and politics
Dublin in the age of WBY and JJ (correspondence, etc.)
A.E. Contract and Letters
Susan Mitchell - Letters and Finished Outlines
- Box 4
B - Literary Productions
Dublin- PA (Portrait of the Artist), Manuscript and correspondence
Synge essay- Manuscript, correspondence
Kain MS publ. 1974- Motif as Meaning and reviews of Joyce
Further portraits- MS on Joyce and correspondence
S.A.M.L.A.- "A general survey of Anglo-Irish Studies
James Joyce and his Dublin- MS
Published articles- Kain
Drafts and letters AE (1976)
AE (George Russell) typescript
AE- Contract and letters
Dr. Kain AE III, IV- Manuscript.? B.2b
WBY (William Butler Yeats) copy
Workshop (of Daedalus)- 1965
Who's who in Workshop
Joyce "Portrait" essay
WBY- Centenary- S.Review '67
Twelve and Tilly- Faber and Faber
Miscellaneous articles (mostly Joyce)
Approaches to Ulysses
Articles (Kain MS)
Etudes (Finnegan's Wake MS)
1969 "The Game of Language"- Tulsa (JJ)
"He who runes"- (RMK) FW
MS Joyce Tower 1962- 1962
"The Personal Ever Delighted Me"-Susan Mitchell in Her Time.
Manuscript-The Dublin of Yeats and Joyce
Manuscript James Joyce and the Game of Language, Letters, Memorandum.
Miscellaneous-Articles, Notes, Letter, Manuscript:Poetic Meaning: The Problem of Limits.
Miscellaneous-Manuscript, The Dublin of Yeats and Joyce.
Joyce in Progress- Manuscript.
Timeless Pattern- Plans- Correspondence- Manuscript.
Genius Loci '73- Manuscript.
Published Article by Kain- "The Indian Summer of Renaissance Humanism."
Collier's (WBY Encyclo.)
Colliers Irish Lit '68 Rough Draft.
Jan '77 Psych. and Joyce (for Dublin-June '77)
Joyce Odds and Ends
McMaster University - James Joyce Seminar
C - Outside Interest
Reference material- library collections
Reference material- Kain
Library annotations- 1975-77
Library associates- Minutes.
Library- Current Statistics.
U of L Library List.
Notes on U of L Rare Books.
Library- Current- Letters, Reports.
Photo Archives- Minutes, Statistics, Reports.
Audio-Visual-Memorandum, Article, Library Film Listing, Program.
U of L Film Catalog- Memorandum, Catalogue.
D - Miscellaneous
Kain: Vita for biographical dictionaries and publicity for books and visiting professorships, 1959-76
(21) Joyce- Bibliography- Notes, Bib., Articles. b.12
Anglo-Irish lit review of research (1-3)
Anglo-Irish 1st (1-3)
1975- (Joyce reviews and correspondence)
Staley- U Today
Staley- Pos. of U Today
Joyce- Portrait list
JJ- Portrait list
JJ Society programs 1947- for JJQ
ETC 1970 H
Status of WBY scholarship- Southern Review
Bushrui ed. Synge
Clark- rough draft
Clark II- rough draft
1963 FILLM- N.Y. (JJ)
PA issue JJQ
McMaster University- Joyce Seminar
Miscellaneous, Literary Gossip- Notes, Articles, Publication three folders.
Printed Materials-Articles (1)
Printed Materials-Articles (2)
Printed Materials-Articles (3)
Printed Materials-Articles, Notes, Report. (4)
Printed Materials-Articles (5)
Printed Materials-Articles, Brochures, Lectures. (6)
Journal, Letters, and Articles. (7)
Miscellaneous- Proposal, Questionnaire, Memorandum, Letter, Minutes, Political Brochure (8)
Printed Materials-Articles (9)
Miscellaneous- Articles, Chronology, Speech (10)
Printed Material-Articles (11)
Miscellaneous-Articles, Letters (13)
The Musical Quarterly, Oct. 1941., and April 1943.
Tulsa '73 Papers.
An Interview with Carolo Giedion-Welker and Maria Jolas.
Miscellaneous-Positive Prints, Negative Prints, Manual of Organization, Articles.
Miscellaneous-Articles, Portfolio of Poems, Report.
Odds and Ends- Mainly Early Notes.
Joyce- Old Odds and Ends.
Tulsa Paper '72.
Survey- Letters and Notes.
Xerox- Journal Reprints, Article. b.16
A - Lectures and Notes
Amis and Angries
Analysis of XX
Anna Karenina (a)
Anna Karenina (b)
Austen- Articles, Notes, Student Papers.
Books of the years
Bronte- Articles, Postcards, Lecture Notes.
Butler (Samuel) and others
Cary (A. Joyce L.)
Criticism- General- Notes, Articles.
Literary Criticism Course- Poems, Notes, Exams
Criticism- Articles, Notes Reviews
Current British- Individual authors
Current British- General
Current British- List
Current world lit.
Dickens- Articles, Notes, Essays.
Dickens Lecture- Notes.
Dickens Art- Notes, Articles, Critiques.
Dickens- Notecards, Notes, Articles.
Dickens Works- Articles, Notes, Student Papers.
Diction- Notes, Test, Articles.
Bros. K[aramazoff]- Discussion
Eliot- Notes Articles, Eliot Timeline.
Examples for Analysis- Test, Poetry, Notes.
Fiction- Earlier essay from little magazines
Fiction- Student essays
File, (Article, Literary)
Finneran Anglo-Irish Literature (1 of 3)
Grammar- Notes, Articles, Test.
Hardy- (Hudson) & (Webb)- Notes, Articles, Test,Kain Research Paper.
DHL- Reviews of books and essays (1958)
DHL- Lady C. Lover
DHL- Contemporary Reviews
DHL- process and file
DHL- Student papers
Literary forms- parody, etc
Milton- student papers
Milton- student book reviews
Milton- notes on secondary sources
Milton- recent articles
Milton- recent exams
Modern- outlines, etc.
Modern Student Analysis
Novel Analysis- Notes.
Novels of Environment- Novels of Philosophy- Discussions.
Poetry- Routine- Notes, Test, Graphs.
Social Ideals- Victorian- Articles, Notes.
Stallman- Clipping, Articles (on Stephen Crane).
Style- Notes, Articles, Test.
Thackery- Notes, Articles
The later Tolstoy
Trollope- Articles, Notes
Turgenev and art novel
Types- Notes and Articles
Types- Historical, etc
Value of Art- Notes, Articles.
Victorianism- Article, Notes, Program.
Victorian Novel- Notes, Exams, Bib., Articles.
Vocabulary- Notes, Articles.
Woolf- process and file
[Fiction Course- Bibliography- Exam]- Lecture Notes, Articles Reading List, Test. (1941-1942)
XIX Fiction Harvard- Course Materials, Essays, Test, Reading List. (1950)
Sligo 1961- extra carbon- 2nd lecture
Kain: College bowl newspaper articles, 1963
Humanities Lectures, Recitals, etc. 1963-9, Programs.
Course Materials- Essays - Eng. 610 (1966)
UCD '72 (University College of Dublin).
Kain: Papers Yeats and Contemporaries, 1973-75
"A Few Dates- 1550-1640," Kain 1974
Drafts of Apr. 1975 lecture (1)
Drafts of Apr. 1975 lecture (2)
General- Articles, Notes.
101 Preliminary- Syllabi, Notes.
Teaching- Notes, Articles, Syllabi.
Book List- Freshman- Notes, Articles.
Course Materials- Research Papers, Articles, Magazine, Notes.
American- Essays, Articles, Notes, Journal, Manuscript.
XVIII, XIX and Modern- Miscellaneous, Letters, Articles, Yale Gazette, Pamphlets, Book Catalogues.
Novel XVIII- Articles, Notes.
Book List- Notes,List, Articles.
Types- Essays, Criticism, Short Stories, Exams, Notes, Articles.
(Loose)- Letter, Notes, Test.
Biographies,Etc- Notes, Articles.
Guide- Letters, Guides.
(Loose) Miscellaneous- Notes, Articles.
Bibliography "Fiction Critics and Little Magazines)- Notes Articles.
Bibliography- Duplicate List West Catalog- Ph.D. examination
Scholarship- Articles, Yale Bulletin, Notes.
Unbound- Miscellaneous, Articles, Letters.
B - Student Papers and Test
Augustana- Examinations, Student Papers, Articles. (1934)
Kain: Some samples of English papers, 1936-41
Kain: Some samples of English papers, 1937-43
Examples- Notes, Articles, Blue Test Books (late '30s, early 40s).
Student Papers- 1946.
Seattle courses, Summer 1966
Seattle Blue Books.
Research Paper (1)
Research Paper (2)
Thesis- Excellent Brief- Student papers
Student Report-Antony and Cleopatra
Student Publication- What flew out of the Cuckoo's Nest,
Term Paper and Research Questions- Articles, Notes, Test.
Student- Research Paper.
Test-Loose in Box.
Renaissance Papers- Student Research Papers
Renaissance- Student Papers.
Student Reports- Renaissance.
Shakespeare's "Antony and Cleopatra"- commentary by Students.
Act I- Notes on "Antony and Cleopatra."
Music- Notes on "Antony and Cleopatra."
Concepts of History, etc.- "Antony and Cleopatra."
Cleopatra- Student Papers, Notes.
Date- Notes, Student Papers (Antony and Cleopatra).
Customs- Topical References- Notes.
Dramatic Art- Scenic Development, Notes.
Act II- Notes, Student Papers.
Antony- Notes, Student Papers.
Stage History- Notes, Student Paper.
Character- Minor- Notes.
Sources- Student Papers, Notes.
Theme- Student Paper
Student Research Papers- Antony and Cleopatra
Collective Criticisms on Antony and Cleopatra
Humanities Data- List, Minutes, Examinations, Grades,Notes
Manuscript-Mr. Kain Meets his 1:10, the biography of a Class in Fiction.
Woolf - Student papers
Unbound Student papers
Miscellaneous Articles and Papers
ECH - Mimeograph Material
III Administrative Papers
A - English Department: Arts and Sciences
Kain: Recommendations, 1963-75.
Kain: Vita for various years- Mostly annual reports to Dean, 1950-1975
Recommendations 1950-1960 - Letters of Recommendation
Department- (English) - Letters.
Graduate- Ph.D.- Letters.
Ph.D.- Letters, Notes, Articles.
(Loose) - Faculty Grants and Student Discipline
Humanities Bulletin- Notes, Letter, Bulletins, Articles.
News of the Humanities- "Education by Radio," Report, Bib.
Honors Committee- Minutes, Memorandum, Notes.
Eng. Dept- Reading List, Articles, Notes, Syllabus, Report.
B - Miscellaneous Administrative Matters
Senate Athletics Committee- Minutes, Memorandum, Letter, Report.
U of L- Articles.
Athletics- Articles, Notes, Reports, Letters, four folders
UL Business- Articles, Manuscript, Report, Bib.
AAUP-Economic Reports on Salaries.
Report on Faculty- 1966-1967.
Brown- Clippings- Articles, Letter, Newsletter.
Phi Beta Kappa- Information on, Minutes, Reports, Newsletter.
Press- Memorandum, Minutes, Letters, Reports.
Heald, Hobson and KySC- Report, Letter, Notes, Minutes
Department of Music History
Malraux Exhibit- Acknowledgement, Text, Chronology, Notes, Seminar, Letters (French Embassy)
Save the Parks- Clippings
- Box 29
- Box 29
Card Catalog Boxes- a. Joyce articles-1925-1955, b. Current- 1961-1965, c. Miscellaneous
- Box 30
- Box 31