Guide to the Jane Lewis: Morgan's Men's Reunions Photographic Collection,
- Guide to the Jane Lewis: Morgan's Men's Reunions Photographic Collection,
- Lewis, Jane
- .25 cu. ft. (1 box): 5 items
- Confederate States of America. Army. Morgan's Cavalry Division
- Kentucky--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Morgan, John Hunt, 1825-1864
- Morgan's Mounted Volunteers
- University of Kentucky
- Biography / History
- Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan served in the Confederate army alongside General Braxton Bragg. Having learned horsemanship as a child on a farm in Fayette County, Kentucky, Morgan was called "Thunderbolt of the Confederacy" by Southern sympathizers and "King of Horse Thieves" by Northern sympathizers. Morgan centered his raids in Kentucky, using unconventional military tactics like civilian assistance in his campaigns. Morgan died September 4, 1864.
- When John Hunt Morgan was reinterred in Lexington, Kentucky, April 17, 1868, the surviving members of Morgan's command formed The Morgan's Men Association. Morgan's Men pledged lifelong fidelity to one another and committed themselves to the memory of their esteemed General. Some prominent members of The Morgan's Men Association include Kentucky Governor James McCreary, Lt. Governor James E. Cantrill, Dr. John A. Lewis, Col. D. Howard Smith, and Brigadier General Basil W. Duke.
- Scope and Content
- The Jane Lewis: Morgan's Men's Reunions Photographic Collection, ca. 1911 consists of five photostat copies made in 1956 of images owned and retained by Jane Lewis. The images document reunions of Morgan's Men at Park Hill (near Carlisle, Kentucky), Washington, D.C., and Olympia Spring, Kentucky. The original photographic collection was not donated to the University of Kentucky, and Special Collections has no knowledge of the collection's current location.
Contents of the Collection
"Parade Day of the unveiling of the monument to General John Hunt Morgen"; General Bennett H. Young…
- Box 1, item 1
"Parade Day of the unveiling of the monument to General John Hunt Morgan"; noted on back, , 1911
- Box 1, item 2
"Morgan's Men at annual reunion at Olympia Springs, KY, sometime before 1917"; noted on back…
- Box 1, item 3
"Morgan's Men on a sightseeing tour of Washington, DC"; noted on back; collection contains both a…
- Box 1, item 4
"Reunion of Morgan's Men at Park Hill, near Carlisle, KY"; noted on back; collection contains both a…
- Box 1, item 5
No items have been requested.
Researchers are encouraged to request collections at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Questions? Contact us at https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.