Katherine Jackson French Papers,1909-1955
- Katherine Jackson French Papers,1909-1955
- French, Katherine Jackson, ca. 1875-1955
- .4 lin. ft.
- Appalachia -- Ballads
- English-Scottish Ballads from . . . Kentucky, by Katherine Jackson French (manuscript)
- Appalachia -- Music, folk
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- Jackson was born around 1875 in London, Kentucky. She attended Columbia University, obtaining a Ph.D. in 1905, and returned to eastern Kentucky in 1909 to collect ballads. She married William F. French in 1911 and moved to Louisiana in 1919 where she lectured in English literature until her retirement in 1948.
- In 1955, French donated her ballad collection to Berea College and wrote an article describing her collecting experiences. This is present in typescript and published form. A third version of her ballad collection includes musical stations.
- Scope and Content
- This contains French's correspondence with Berea College President William Goodell Frost; four versions of her manuscript "English-Scottish Ballads from the Hills of Kentucky;" a few photographs of mountain people; and some biographical material.
- Unpublished inventory/register.