Ferrell Family Papers, 1878(?)-1959
- Ferrell Family Papers, 1878(?)-1959
- Ferrell Family
- 1/2 box, 6 folders, 214 items.
- Western Kentucky University
- Biography / History
- Pulaski County, Kentucky, residents Thomas Virgil Ferrell (b.1867) and Winnie F. Broyles (b.1866) were married on December 23, 1886. In 1885, Virgil was teaching school, but by 1931 he had acquired a clothing and furnishings store in Somerset. They were the parents of two daughters: Flonnie (1888-1954), whose married name was Tate, and she had two or more children; and Thelma (1897-1973?), who was associated with the Somerset Journal for forty years, serving as the society editor in 1965.
- Scope and Content
- The collection is comprised chiefly of family letters and correspondence. There are pre-nuptial letters of Virgil Ferrell and Winnie Broyles written in 1885 and 1886 (18 items); letters from some of their Kansas relatives, the Georges, written during the period of 1888 to 1890 (8 items); and other letters from friends and relatives. Correspondence, manuscript notes, receipts, and clippings of Thelma Ferrell comprise the major portion of the collection and are dated from 1924 to 1959 (149 items). Also, the legal papers of the Ferrell family include deeds and mortgages generated from 1923 to 1939 (7).
Contents of the Collection
Ferrell Family Papers. 1878(?)-1959. 214 items.
- Box 1
Incoming letters, etc., to Winnie F. (Broyles) Ferrell. 1878(?)-1937. 38 items.
- Box 1, folder 1
Incoming letters to T. V. Ferrell and to Mr. & Mrs. T. V. Ferrell. 1885-1929. 20 items.
- Box 1, folder 2
Incoming letters to Thelma Ferrell. 1943-1957. 57 items.
- Box 1, folder 3
Miscellaneous letters and items. 1924-1957. 37 items.
Notes of Thelma Ferrell's writings and miscellaneous receipts, clippings, etc. 1935-1959. 55 items.
Legal papers of the Ferrell family. 1923-1939. 7 items.
- Box 1, folder 6