The Paul W. L. Jones Papers, ca.1895-1953,ca.1895-1953
- The Paul W. L. Jones Papers, ca.1895-1953,ca.1895-1953
- Jones, Paul William Lawrence, 1878-1953
- 2.2 cubic ft.
- Afro-American baseball players - Kentucky - Frankfort - Photographs.
- Afro-American college administrators - Kentucky - Frankfort - Photographs.
- Afro-American college teachers - Kentucky - Frankfort - Photographs.
- Afro-American universities and colleges - Kentucky - Frankfort - Photographs.
- Afro-American universities and colleges - Kentucky - Frankfort - Faculty - Photographs.
- Afro-Americans - Biography.
- Afro-American - Education.
- Baseball teams - Kentucky - Frankfort - Photographs.
- Beckham, J. C. W. (John Crepps Wickliffe), 1869-1940.
- Bradley, William O., 1847-1914
- College presidents - Kentucky - Frankfort - Photographs.
- College sports - Kentucky - Frankfort - Photographs.
- Givens, James Edwards
- Governors - Kentucky - Photographs.
- Hathaway, James Shelton.
- Jackson, John Henry, 1850-
- Jockeys - Photographs.
- Jones, Paul W. L., 1885-1953 - Photograph collections.
- Jones, Paul W. L., 1878-1953.
- Kentucky State University - Baseball.
- Kentucky State University - Faculty - Photographs.
- Kentucky State University - Photograph collections.
- Kentucky State University - Presidents - Photographs.
- McCreary, James B. (James Bennett), 1838-1918.
- Murphy, Isaac Burns, ca.1861-1896.
- Normal institutes - Kentucky - Frankfort - Photographs.
- Russell, G. P. (Green Pinckney), 1861-1936.
- Willson, Augustus E., 1846-1931.
- The photographic series covers nearly half of the P.W.L. Jones Papers including six oversize photographs. The remainder includes clippings, correspondence, speeches, poetry, publications, memorabilia and a separate scrapbook which had been previously used to record both grades (1891-1896) and financial records (1891-1894). Each series is organized alphabetically by subject and chronologically within the subject.
- Kentucky State University
- Biography / History
- P.W.L. Jones was born in 1878 at Mt. Sterling, Kentucky to Daniel and Sue (Thomas) Jones. His father, Daniel Jones, served in the Union Army from 1864 to 1866. Named William Lawrence Jones at birth, P.W.L. Jones earned the nickname of "Paul" from classmates because of his early love of history and interest in John Paul Jones.
- An 1898 graduate of KSU (then Kentucky Normal School for Colored Persons), P.W.L. Jones later went on to become a professor of history and Academic Dean at KSU (then Kentucky Normal and Industrial Institute). He worked at KSU between 1907 and 1928. Along with teaching and administrative duties, he also helped form and served as coach and manager of early baseball, football, and track teams at the school, which earned him the title of "Father of Athletics."
- Incorporating his interest in education and athletics, Jones was a member of the Kentucky Negro Education Association, wrote a column for Spalding's Football Guide from 1928 until his death, contributed articles to The Crisis and wrote and published A History of K.N.I.I. in 1912. Jones used one of these volumes to record updates on the faculty, staff and alumni up through 1920.
- In 1920, Jones and his family moved to Cincinnati when he was offered the position of Superintendent of the Colored Industrial School of Cincinnati, which was also known as the McCall School, where he worked until his death in 1953. Jones and his wife, Ada Clementina Anderson, had three sons, the youngest born on the campus of K.N.I.I.
- Over the years P. W. L. Jones collected books by and about African Americans as well as a wide range of other topics including books about Africa, religion, history, poetry, the horse industry and other sports. This extensive and rare library makes up a large part of the Special and Rare Book collection at Kentucky State University. The collection as a whole is unmatched in the state of Kentucky and rivals the Schomburg Collection at the New York Public Library.
- Scope and Content
- The focus of the Paul W. L. Jones Papers is on his years at Kentucky Normal and Industrial Institute (now Kentucky State University). Though he graduated from the school in 1898, the bulk of the collection covers the years he taught at K.N.I.I. P.W.L. Jones taught history and became academic dean at the school, but he also saw a need for developing the body as well as the mind and organized some of the first football, baseball and track teams. His papers reflect his interest in both academics and athletics. This collection of photographs, printed material, clippings, correspondence, memorabilia, and a scrapbook focuses on the early history of Kentucky State University, education for African Americans in Kentucky during the last decade of the nineteenth century and first three decades of the twentieth century. The photographic series contains 74 images. Complimentary collections include approximately 500 books in the P.W.L. Jones Book Collection and corresponding taped oral history interviews with Paul Jones' son, William L. Jones (2 hours, 30 min.).
Contents of the Collection
Athletics, miscellaneous - 1934, 1935, n.d. [ca.1940]
- Box 1, folder 1
Baseball & "Col. Matt Winn Dies . . ." - Cincinnati Inquirer - October 7, 1949
- Box 1, folder 2
Boxing - Jack Johnson ("Li'l Arthur") - June 11, 1946
- Box 1, folder 3
High School Commencement at the Opera House - 
- Box 1, folder 4
Flight -Armies with Wings and others - 1935-1940
- Box 1, folder 5
Horse racing, miscellaneous - March 2, 1932-August 25, 1946
- Box 1, folder 6
Lincoln Institute by Whitney Young [Sr.] - August 1, 1957
- Box 1, folder 7
Miscellaneous - Art, poetry, Governor Bradley - 1952 & n.d.
- Box 1, folder 8
Mt. Sterling Advocate - July 14, 1942
- Box 1, folder 9
Mt. Sterling Advocate - July 23, 1942
- Box 1, folder 10
Mt. Sterling Advocate - Pete Hensley Obituary - September 21, 1926
- Box 1, folder 11
"Negro Guests at White House Since 1864 Listed in Report" - [n.d.]
- Box 1, folder 12
People - 1935, 1939, 1943, 1946 & n.d.
- Box 1, folder 13
People - "Katy Ferguson" [with printed copy of sermon] - June 5, 1947
- Box 1, folder 14
A.S. Barnes & Co. - Football Guides - July 31, 1941
- Box 1 , folder 15
Anthony L. Cook - November 3, 1924
- Box 1, folder 16
Father's Day card from "Bill" - [n.d.]
- Box 1, folder 17
Jackson, John H. - August 1, 1910
- Box 1, folder 18
Miscellaneous - 1,42, 1950 & n.d.
- Box 1, folder 19
Murrell, E.E. - July 6, 1909
- Box 1, folder 20
Postcards - 1943 & n.d.
- Box 1, folder 21
Taylor, Marshal W. "Major" - Re: The Fastest Bicycle Rider in the World - November 12, 1930
- Box 1, folder 22
Biographical Sketches of P.W.L. Jones - [n.d.]
- Box 1 , folder 23
Brochure - "Twelve Reasons Why You Should Support Prof. Paul W. L. Jones for President of the K.N.E…
- Box 1, folder 24
Inventory of "Books at 4500 Perth" - [n.d.]
- Box 1, folder 25
"Papa's catalogues & Speeches" - Speeches & Commencement Programs - 1927, 1930
- Box 1, folder 26
Poetry - "The Class of '23" by Wallace Edward Strader - [n.d.]
- Box 1, folder 27
Speeches - [n.d.]
- Box 1, folder 28
Speeches - Commencement Address - "Colored Industrial School" - June 17, 1942
- Box 1, folder 29
Speeches - " . . . errors in present day teaching . . ." - [n.d.]
- Box 1, folder 30
Speeches - "Negro Biography" - Presented at Association for Study of Negro Life & History…
- Box 1, folder 31
"Talks & Addresses & Stories" - Catherine Ferguson - [n.d.]
- Box 1, folder 32
"Talks & Addresses & Stories" - Christian Church - Sunday, June 28, 1942
- Box 1, folder 33
"Talks & Addresses & Stories" - Christianity - [n.d.]
- Box 1, folder 34
"Talks & Addresses & Stories" - Commencement Address by Clementina Anderson - 1899
- Box 1, folder 35
"Talks & Addresses & Stories" - Poem - "To My Son" - [n.d.]
- Box 1, folder 36
Memorabilia - State Normal School class ribbon - 1898
- Box 1 , folder 37
Annual Report of the Public Schools - Frankfort, Kentucky - 1917
- Box 1 , folder 38
Baseball Team Booklet - [ca.1920]
- Box 1, folder 39
Biennial Report to the Board of Trustees - 1908-1909
- Box 1, folder 40
Gold and Green by Paul W. L. Jones - [ca.1910]
- Box 1, folder 41
The Colored Inventor, A Record of Fifty Years by Henry E. Baker - 1913
- Box 1, folder 42
The Disgrace of Democracy by Kelly Miller, Howard University - August 4, 1917
- Box 1, folder 43
Football Program - Alabama State Teachers College vs. K.S.I.C. - October 31, 1936
- Box 1, folder 44
Kentucky Normal and Industrial Institute Bulletin - 1913
- Box 1, folder 45
Kentucky Normal and Industrial Institute Bulletin - 1914
- Box 1, folder 46
Minutes of the Madison County Colored Teachers Institute - Richmond, Kentucky - August 8-12, 1910
- Box 1, folder 47
- Box 1, folder 48
One Hundred Distinguished Leaders . . . by Charles Alexander - 1899
- Box 1, folder 49
Programs - Baccalaureate Services - May 23, 1937
- Box 1, folder 50
Racial Integrity by Arthur A. Schomburg - July 1913
- Box 1, folder 51
Southern Workman - Hampton Institute - February 1932
- Box 1, folder 52
Speech - "In Defense of the American System" by Henry Clay - 1832
- Box 1, folder 53
Standard Life Insurance company Yearbook - 1914-1915
- Box 1, folder 54
Yearbook and Almanac - Madam C.J. Walker Mfg. Co. - 1925
- Box 1, folder 55
Athletics - Baseball - 1908-1919
- Box 2, folder 1
Athletics - Horse Racing - [n.d.]
- Box 2, folder 2
Athletics - Horse Racing - Post Cards - "The Marchioness" - 1932
- Box 2, folder 3
Athletics - Other Schools - Institute West Virginia - Post Cards (Correspondence from A.G. Brown…
- Box 2, folder 4
Buildings - ca. 1920, 1924
- Box 2, folder 5
Faculty, Staff of Kentucky Normal & Industrial Institute - D.-L. - [n.d.]
- Box 2, folder 6
Faculty, Staff of Kentucky Normal & Industrial Institute - O.-Y. - [n.d.]
- Box 2, folder 7
Governors - Beckham, Bradley, McCreary, Willson - [n.d.]
- Box 2, folder 8
P.W.L. Jones - Football Official - 1932
- Box 2, folder 9
P.W.L. Jones - Photograph and negative - [n.d.]
- Box 2, folder 10
P.W.L. Jones and Family - [n.d.]
- Box 2, folder 11
Miscellaneous - [n.d.]
- Box 2, folder 12
Normal School Students at Kentucky Normal & Industrial Institute - [n.d.]
- Box 2, folder 13
Presidents of Kentucky Normal & Industrial Institute and wives - 1912 [& n.d]
- Box 2, folder 14
Simmons, William J. - [n.d.]
- Box 2, folder 15
Athletics - Baseball Team - 1918
- Box 3, folder 1
Athletics - Football Team - ca.1918
- Box 3, folder 2
High School Department - 1910
- Box 3, folder 3
Normal Department - Fall 1907
- Box 3, folder 4
Normal School Students - Class of 1898
- Box 3, folder 5
Paul W. L. Jones in Jackson Hall - 1925
- Box 3, folder 6