D. C. Phillips Reconstruction Letter,1865
- D. C. Phillips Reconstruction Letter,1865
- Phillips, D.C.
- 1 item (4 p.); 30 cm.
- Kentucky--Politics and government--1865-1950
- Assassination--Kentucky-Hardin County
- White, W. K.
- Gray, Anderson
- Finding Aid Author
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Letter from D. C. Phillips to W. K. White. This letter was written shortly after the end of the Civil War. It describes local politics, a political assassination, interracial violence and a killing, and the attitudes of white Kentuckians toward the freedmen. The letter concerns the political factions in the state over the Thirteenth Amendment, and gives opinions about the outcome of certain elections. The Conklin referred to in the letter went on to beat Anderson Gray in the discussed election.