Talitha Ethel Powell McClure Papers,1915-1980 (bulk 1915-1916)
- Talitha Ethel Powell McClure Papers,1915-1980 (bulk 1915-1916)
- McClure, Talitha Ethel Powell, 1894-1974
- .1 lin. ft.
- Appalachia -- Music, folk
- Appalachia -- Ballads
- Music, folk -- Lyrics
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- These were apparently collected for a contest initiated by President William Goodell Frost in 1915. Talitha McClure was the recipient of a prize for collecting the most lyrics. Ballad collector Cecil James Sharp, the author of several books on the subject, visited Berea in 1917 and, after several interviews, cited McClure as a source of various lyrics and songs.
- Scope and Content
- Materials consist of handwritten lyrics to folk ballads which were collected by Berea College student McClure in the 1915 - 1916 school year.
- Materials consist of handwritten lyrics to approximately fifty folk ballads. An alphabetical index to these, provided by McClure's daughter, Virginia Ferrill Piland, is also present, along with biographical notes by Piland concerning McClure's life. Xerox copies of citations to McClure in Cecil Sharp's published works complete the collection.