Pearl Day Bach Photographic Collection

Abstract

The Pearl Day Bach Photographic Collection (dated 1893-1961; 0.25 cubic feet; 27 items) contains twenty-seven photographic prints that portray scenes of the town of Hazel Green, the Academy, monuments, faculty members, students, and members of the Former Students Association.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Pearl Day Bach Photographic Collection
Date
1893-1961
Extent
0.25 Cubic feet
Subjects
Appalachians (People)
Education Demographic aspects
Education--Appalachian Region
Rural development projects
Rural schools--Appalachian Region
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Staff, Margaret Plarr, Jason Flahardy
Preferred Citation
PA68M103: [identification of item], Pearl Day Bach Photographic Collection, 1893-1961, University of Kentucky Special Collections.
Repository
University of Kentucky

Collection Overview

Biography / History
The community of Hazel Green, named for the abundance of hazelnut trees found in the area, was founded about 1850, and is located in the rugged, Big Sandy country of Wolfe County, Kentucky. The town was settled mostly by Virginians, beginning as a trading post supplied with goods carried on horseback from Maysville, Lexington, and other towns, in trade for furs, peltries, and farm products. The town rapidly grew in size and importance soon becoming well known for the Hazel Green Fair and a racecourse, which was the first in the mountains. After the turn of the century, Swango Springs also became a popular vacation spa. These attractions enabled early families to set the stage for an era of prosperity, elegance and leisure, evidenced by the several stately ancestral homes still remaining in a remarkable state of preservation.
The Founders, J. Taylor Day, Greenberry Swango, and W.O. Mize are responsible for establishing the original Hazel Green Academy through an initial contribution of $500 each in 1880. By 1888, the school was transferred to administration by the Christian Women's Board of Missions. Enrollment in the school during this time grew from thirteen to eighty-seven students, and then steadily thereafter. The educational institution is noted for being one of the first junior colleges (2) in the mountains and of which many of Eastern Kentucky's most noted citizens attended. At one time, The Hazel Green Academy had the distinction of having the highest percentage of graduates who enter college, and the lowest withdrawal rate, of any other accredited school in Kentucky. Because of the limited resources of Eastern Kentucky, which comprises 38 counties, Hazel Green Academy was a vital part of a rural development program serving the local population. The school limited enrollment to Eastern Kentucky children with not more than 10% of outside attendence (3) allowed. Because of the Academy's influence, eventually twenty-nine mission-supported schools emerged to serve the area. However, by the 60's, the eventual shift in population away from the area left only Hazel Green Academy. During this time, a scholarship of $165 provided room and board for one year, with enrollment averaging between 100-125 students.
Reverend and Mrs. Henry Stovall (4) were especially influential in shaping the mission of the Hazel Green Academy. The couple came to Wolfe County from Mississippi, serving as director and principal beginning in 1928, and retiring with thirty-eight years of service from the summer of 1928 through May, 1966. They not only greatly contributed to the success of the Hazel Green Academy, but also fulfilled a leadership role in shaping rural development programs. Supported by the United Christian Missionary Society of Indianapolis, Ind., Hazel Green Academy emphasized many extra curricular activities including 4-H work, conservation clubs, sports, folk games, music and drama. Academic departments were maintained for music, industrial arts, crafts (5), and home economics. The Annual Homecoming of former students, faculty, and friends was noted as generally the largest gathering of its kind in the East Kentucky region.
Mrs. Pearl (Day) Bach (1887-1968), historian of the Former Students Association of the academy, has compiled the information concerning the school, particularly in its early years. Mrs. William Everett Bach (Pearl Day Bach), was born in Hazel Green, Wolfe County, Kentucky, and graduated from Hazel Green Academy in 1905. During this time, Pearl became the organist for the Hazel Green Presbyterian Church and later began teaching Music at Caney, Kentucky. In 1905, she was married to William Everett Bach of Jackson, Kentucky and settled in Cannel City, Kentucky where her husband worked as the conductor on the Ohio & Kentucky Railroad. The couple resided briefly in Pineville from 1917 to 1919, where William Bach became the president of the Kentucky River Mining Co. In 1919, Mr. and Mrs. Bach, along with two daughters settled permanently in Lexington, where Mr. Bach continued working for the coal business, and with the Kearns Coal Company, of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Pearl Day Bach was active in numerous organizations, committees, and causes. Among her activities include membership of the Eastern Star, the United Daughters of Confederacy, President of the Crippled Children's Board of the Good Samaritan Hospital, on Advisory Committee of Dessie Scott Children's Home in Wolfe County, charter member and organizer of the Kentucky Mountain Club of Lexington, Kentucky, as well as chairman of the Sick and Hospital Committee from 1945 to 1958. Foremost, she is most notable as an active Kentucky genealogist and clubwoman. She attributed to her parents and the Hazel Green Academy, full credit for her character, success, and achievements for keeping me in school and teaching me the right principles of Life. Her dedication was responsible for coordinating the activities of the Former Students Association of the Hazel Green Academy, serving as president in 1951-1952, and acting as the historian of the association during most of its existence (beginning in 1940).
Scope and Content
The Pearl Day Bach Photographic Collection (dated 1893-1961; 0.25 cubic feet; 27 items) contains twenty-seven photographic prints that portray scenes of the town of Hazel Green, the Academy, monuments, faculty members, students, and members of the Former Students Association. The photographs document education in rural Appalachia.

Restrictions on Access and Use

Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Access note Collection is open to researchers by appointment.
Use Restrictions
Property rights reside with the University of Kentucky. The University of Kentucky holds the copyright for materials created in the course of business by University of Kentucky employees. Copyright for all other materials has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky. For information about permission to reproduce or publish, please contact Special Collections.

Contents of the Collection

The Hazel Green Campus on Harrison Heights. The buildings from left to right were: 1. A faculty cottage, 2. The Helen E. Moses Memorial boys dormitory, 3. In the background with porches, the Sarah K. Yancey Home 4. In the center foreground is the Ford Industrial Arts Building, 5. A water tower, 6. Pearre Hall, undated

  • Box 1, Item 1
1. A faculty cottage, later occupied by the Stovalls (1928-1966) 2. The Helen E. Moses Memorial boys dormitory, dedicated Sept. 12, 1908 3. In the background with porches, the Sarah K. Yancey Home (for female students and staff). Two homes by this name burned. In 1930, a new school and administration building was built in its place and the old school building (Pearre Hall) was converted to a girls dormitory and kitchen/dining hall in the basement 4. In the center foreground is the Ford Industrial Arts Building which housed the coal heating plant until converted to natural gas years later. It was also dedicated Sept. 12, 1908 5. A water tower to the left of the school building 6. Pearre Hall, the school building dedicated Thanksgiving Day, 1902, was the first HGA school building not downtown in Hazel Green
To top

The Helen E. Moses Memorial Boys Dormitory, undated

  • Box 1, Item 2
Years later a hospital, operated by Dr. H. I. Blood, was housed on the second floor (1933-1955), the first of its kind in Wolfe County and the surrounding area
To top

Presbyterian Church - Hazel Green, KY. Artie Lee Dye is standing in front of the church, undated

  • Box 1, Item 3
To top

Plaque - Site of the First Dormitory of Hazel Green Academy., undated

  • Box 1, Item 4
To top

Plaque - Site of First Building of Hazel Green Academy, 1880, undated

  • Box 1, Item 5
To top

Cityscape An old picture of Hazel Green, KY, in 1900. This must be 1890, as the building on the extreme right became the first dormitory after Professor Cord's arrival., 1890

  • Box 1, Item 6
To top

Group picture at Homecoming, August 13, 1961. Includes Nevada Nickell Hughes, Dennie Nickell, Golden Nickell Hughes, Dr. A.C. Nickell and Frances Nickell Chambers, 1961

  • Box 1, Item 7
To top

Group of three young men and three young women, sitting on a porch: Pearl Day, Mary Bereneman, Corda Benneman, George Ringe, Howard James and Ed D. Day., undated

  • Box 1, Item 8
To top

Class in Hazel Green Academy - The instructor is James H. Swango; the names of twenty of the twenty-one students are on the back of the photo., undated

  • Box 1, Item 9
To top

Group portrait of six young women and four young men, the class of 1903-04. The instructor was Prof. R.H. Ptton (business class). The names are on the back of the photo., 1904

  • Box 1, Item 10
To top

Miss Mabel Cross of Hiram, Ohio. Music teacher, about 1900-1901., 1900

  • Box 1, Item 11
To top

Twelve members of a class (Hazel Green Academy). The names are on the back of the photo., undated

  • Box 1, Item 12
To top

A group of five men and three women standing in front of a plaque (August 13, 1961): Hazel Green Academy / Dedicated 1800 by J. Taylor Day, William D. Mize and Green Berry Swango. Only College Preparatory School This Area ForYears., 1961

  • Box 1, Item 13
To top

Man and woman standing near a marker on the ground (August 13, 1961). Pearl Day (Mrs. Wm. Everett) Bach is on the left. HGA Director, Mr. Henry A. Stovall, is on the back row, far right, 1961

  • Box 1, Item 14
To top

Group of seven women and five men standing on a lawn (August 13, 1961). On the right is Former Students Association historian, Mrs. Pearl Day Bach., undated

  • Box 1, Item 15
To top

Man and woman unveiling the marker on the ground (August 13, 1961). The lady in the center is Mrs. Pearl Day Bach, 1961

  • Box 1, Item 16
To top

On the right is Former Students Association historian, Mrs. Pearl Day Bach. Her and another lady are dedicating a marker on the site where two Sarah K. Yancey Homes (dormitories for female students and staff) burned. The current (August 13, 1961) school and administration building they are standing by (library windows) was built by staff and students of bricks made and burned on campus Two women standing near a marker at the corner of a brick building (August 13, 1961)., 1961

  • Box 1, Item 17
To top

Prof. C. P. Coley and family., undated

  • Box 1, Item 18
To top

Uncle Green Trimble of Mt. Sterling, Ky., and his Great Grandson, Kelly Day Hollow., undated

  • Box 1, Item 19
To top

The teacher's class at Hazel Green Academy, 1893. Twenty-six names are on the margin of the picture, 1893

  • Box 1, Item 20
To top

Dormitory at Hazel Green Academy, 1893. This is the home that was built after Bill Lusk's house burned, and was the second dormitory for students at H.G.A., 1893

  • Box 1, Item 21
To top

This was also known as the Academy Home in downtown Hazel Green proper. Includes Pearl Bach, My first year in school. The photo includes about 100 students, 1893

  • Box 1, Item 22
There is a line sketch drawing of this building also in this collections The old schoolhouse of Hazel Green Academy, 1893.
To top

Hazel Green Academy business graduation class of 1905, six men and five women. The names are on the back of the photo., 1905

  • Box 1, Item 23
To top

Faculty of Hazel Green Academy, 1910. The names are on the back of the photo., 1910

  • Box 1, Item 24
To top

Campton, Ky. Teachers Institute, undated

  • Box 1, Item 25
To top

Photo inscription: This picture must have been made about 1900 as my sister, Minnie died October 7, 1901. The names of the four young men, four young women and three faculty [?] are on the margin of the photo. Picture taken Tuesday, June 4, 1895 (Eve) by T.A. Eustridge, at the old 'Rock Quarry' near town, Hazel Green, KY. The names of the six men and six women are on the back of the photo, 1900

  • Box 1, Item 26
These reunions were held frequently and mentioned often in the Hazel Green Herald for the years 1885-1901
To top

Five men and four women hiking, stop for a rest, undated

  • Box 1, Item 27
To top

Researchers are required to have an SCRC Researcher Account in order to request or order digital copies of materials. Research Account set-up and use instructions can be found at: http://libguides.uky.edu/SCRCaccount

If you are visiting the Breckinridge Research Room, please request materials at least 48 business hours in advance of your arrival.

For all other questions, contact us at: https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.

Researchers are required to have an SCRC Researcher Account in order to request or order digital copies of materials. Research Account set-up and use instructions can be found at: http://libguides.uky.edu/SCRCaccount

If you are visiting the Breckinridge Research Room, please request materials at least 48 business hours in advance of your arrival.

For all other questions, contact us at: https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.

Requests

No items have been requested.