John B. Bibb Certificate1840
- John B. Bibb Certificate1840
- Bibb, John B.
- 1 item (1 leaf); 25 X 42 cm.
- Land titles--Registration and transfer--Illinois
- United States--General Land Office
- Van Buren, Martin, 1782-1862
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Biography / History
- John B. Bibb was born on October 27, 1789, in Prince Edward County, Virginia. The Bibb family migrated to Kentucky in 1798, eventually settling in Logan County. Bibb studied law under Judge H.P. Broadnax. In 1813, Bibb joined the militia to fight in the War of 1812. He returned from the war and passed the bar in 1814. Bibb gave up his law practice in 1816, because of poor health. Bibb then became a horticulturalist and developed Bibb lettuce. He died April 12, 1840.
- Scope and Content
- Single item collection consisting of a certificate dated, November 3, 1840. The certificate declares that John B. Bibb, of Logan County, Kentucky, has made full payment for land in Quincy, Illinois. The document, no. 11426, was issued by the General Land Office after receiving the proper paper work to issue the land patent. It was signed by Martin Van Buren, and retains the seal that was affixed to the document.