Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture

Abstract

The Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture consists of the photographic records created by The Bluegrass Trust for Historic Preservation of houses under consideration for their advocacy during the 1960 to 1974 period.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture
Date
1960-1974
Extent
1.0 Cubic feet
Subjects
Historic buildings--Kentucky--Lexington.
Historic preservation--Kentucky.
Residential architecture
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Jason Flahardy
Preferred Citation
2003av005: [identification of item], Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture, University of Kentucky Special Collections.
Repository
University of Kentucky

Collection Overview

Biography / History
The Bluegrass Trust for Historic Preservation was founded in 1955 as a not-for-profit advocate for Lexington, Kentucky and the surrounding counties that comprise Central Kentucky. It is the fourteenth oldest preservation organization in the United States of America. Bluegrass Trust raises funds for the purchase and restoration of historic houses, among them, The Hunt-Morgan House, Dudley House, Henry Clay’s Law Office, and the Mary Todd Lincoln House. Bluegrass Trust also coordinates a plaque program for the identification of structures of historic interest in Lexington and Central Kentucky. The plaques bear a stylized “BGT” logo, which is also a common abbreviation for the organization. http://bluegrasstrust.org/
Scope and Content
The Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture consists of 395 gelatin silver prints of residences and structures, 1960-1974, related to the activities of the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation; most are images of houses in Lexington/Fayette County Kentucky and identified by address.

Restrictions on Access and Use

Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Access note Collection is open to researchers by appointment
Use Restrictions
Material in this collection is on deposit from the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation. Copyright has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky, but UK may grant permission for reproduction and use at its discretion.

Contents of the Collection

East 2nd [Second] street

115 East 2nd [Second] street. Built by Matthew Kennedy for Hanna Baxter in 1831, sold to George H. Hancock March 11, 1861

  • Box 1, Item 1
To top

121 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1817

  • Box 1, Item 2
To top

124 East 2nd [Second] street. Kennedy-Brand house built in 1813

  • Box 1, Item 3
To top

135 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1838 by Thomas K. Layton. House was sold by Layton's heirs in 1963 to Sarah Aubrey. Bought by Thomas P. Dudley in 1869.

  • Box 1, Item 4
To top

145 East 2nd [Second] street. Built by John W. Patterson in 1843 and bought by William "King" Solomon January 18, 1860.

  • Box 1, Item 5
To top

151 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in the 1840's, owned by Smith Burton and Harry Miller.

  • Box 1, Item 6
To top

155 East 2nd [Second] Street. Built before 1818 by Kennedy and Brand. Owned by David A. Sayre and Stephen G. Sharp.

  • Box 1, Item 7
To top

158 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1828 by John Wirt. In 1866 his heirs sold the house to Moses Spencer.

  • Box 1, Item 8
To top

220 East 2nd [Second] street. Antebellum house built before 1855.

  • Box 1, Item 9
To top

224 East 2nd [Second] street. Antebellum house built before 1855.

  • Box 1, Item 10
To top

230 East 2nd [Second] street. Thomas Brady house built in 1838.

  • Box 1, Item 11
To top

West 2nd [Second] street

251West 2nd [Second] street. Lexington Public Library Central Branch, built in 1906 due to a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Currently the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning; steps view from street.

  • Box 1, Item 12
To top

251West 2nd [Second] street. Lexington Public Library Central Branch, built in 1906 due to a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Currently the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning; steps and column detail.

  • Box 1, Item 13
To top

251West 2nd [Second] street. Lexington Public Library Central Branch, built in 1906 due to a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Currently the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning; steps and column detail.

  • Box 1, Item 14
To top

201-203 West 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1812 by Samuel Long, owned by Charles Wilkins.

  • Box 1, Item 15
To top

211 West 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1814 also the rear portion of the Bodley house.

  • Box 1, Item 16
To top

226 West 2nd [Second] street. The Robert Wickliffe house, built around 1841.

  • Box 1, Item 17
To top

320 West 2nd [Second] street, view from street. Built either in the late 1700's for Colonel Thomas Hart or in the early 1800's for David Dodge.

  • Box 1, Item 18
To top

320 West 2nd [Second] street, side view. Built either in the late 1700's for Colonel Thomas Hart or in the early 1800's for David Dodge.

  • Box 1, Item 19
To top

331 West 2nd [Second] street. Owned by Emma Ford Walker.

  • Box 1, Item 20
To top

437 West 2nd [Second] street. Built for Thomas January in the early 1800's. Became the Episcopal Theological Seminary in 1834 and was remodelled by John McMurtry in 1849.

  • Box 1, Item 21
To top

454 West 2nd [Second] street. Remodeled in late 19th century.

  • Box 1, Item 22
To top

457 West 2nd [Second] street. Designed and built by John McMurtry. Not antebellum.

  • Box 1, Item 23
To top

461 West 2nd [Second] street, close left side view. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added.

  • Box 1, Item 24
To top

461 West 2nd [Second] street, distant right side view. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added.

  • Box 1, Item 25
To top

461 West 2nd [Second] street, distant left side view. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added.

  • Box 1, Item 26
To top

461 West 2nd [Second] street, front view from street. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added.

  • Box 1, Item 27
To top

468 West 2nd [Second] street. Built for William R. Davis in 1846.

  • Box 1, Item 28
To top

471 West 2nd [Second] street. Built for Richard Pindell in 1839.

  • Box 1, Item 29
To top

East 3rd [Third] street

100 East 3rd [Third] street.

  • Box 1, Item 30
To top

114 East 3rd [Third] street. Built by Joseph T. Sutton after 1841, sold to Jacob White in 1843.

  • Box 1, Item 31
To top

118 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for William S. Keiser in 1841, sold to John Prather in 1844.

  • Box 1, Item 32
To top

120 East 3rd [Third] street.

  • Box 1, Item 33
To top

122 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for Jacob Uttinger in 1839.

  • Box 1, Item 34
To top

126 East 3rd [Third] street, view from right side. Built by Jacob Uttinger who sold lot to Thomas Bradley in 1839.

  • Box 1, Item 35
To top

126 East 3rd [Third] street, view from left side. Built by Jacob Uttinger who sold lot to Thomas Bradley in 1839.

  • Box 1, Item 36
To top

126 East 3rd [Third] street, front view. Built by Jacob Uttinger who sold lot to Thomas Bradley in 1839.

  • Box 1, Item 37
To top

138 East 3rd [Third] street. Built by and for Frederick Bush in 1847.

  • Box 1, Item 38
To top

140 East 3rd [Third] street. Built by Evan Lilly for William B. Emmal in 1844 or 1845.

  • Box 1, Item 39
To top

146 East 3rd [Third] street, distant right side view. Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe.

  • Box 1, Item 40
To top

146 East 3rd [Third] street, left side view. Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe.

  • Box 1, Item 41
To top

146 East 3rd [Third] street, close right side view . Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe.

  • Box 1, Item 42
To top

146 East 3rd [Third] street, front view. Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe.

  • Box 1, Item 43
To top

147 East 3rd [Third] street.

  • Box 1, Item 44
To top

218 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for Augustus Barley in 1848, sold to Caleb F. Lilly in 1850.

  • Box 1, Item 45
To top

234-236 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for Rebecca Spiller in 1845.

  • Box 1, Item 46
To top

242 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for James Sullivan in 1840.

  • Box 1, Item 47
To top

252-254 East 3rd [Third] street.

  • Box 1, Item 48
To top

West 3rd [Third] street

301 West 3rd [Third] street. Morrison Hall. Built 1830-34 by Gideon Shyrock.

  • Box 1, Item 49
To top

West 3rd [Third] street. Log cabin built by Colonel Robert Patterson around 1780.

  • Box 1, Item 50
To top

304 West 3rd [Third] street. Built for Caleb Ford in 1841. Originally faced Mill Street, but was enlarged and remodeled to face 3rd street in 1895 for Mrs. J. Hull Davidson. Transylvania College president Burris Jenkins lived there from 1901-06.

  • Box 1, Item 51
To top

318 West 3rd [Third] street. Moved to this location and enlarged for Henry Cassell in 1817.

  • Box 1, Item 52
To top

322 West 3rd [Third] street. Built for Thomas January by Luther Stevens and Hallet M. Winslow around 1817.

  • Box 1, Item 53
To top

553 West 3rd [Third] street.

  • Box 1, Item 54
To top

East 4th [Fourth] street

119 East 4th [Fourth] street. Purchased by Robert McNitt in 1814. Remodeled into a double house for Francisco Wolf after 1870.

  • Box 1, Item 55
To top

149 East 4th [Fourth] street. Built for Hugh Carlan in 1814.

  • Box 1, Item 56
To top

203 East 4th [Fourth] street. Elmside or Elmwood house, built for either William Moses Brand in 1829, or George B. Kinkead in 1856. Extensively remodeled around 1900.

  • Box 1, Item 57
To top

West 4th [Fourth] street

124 West 4th [Fourth] street.

  • Box 1, Item 58
To top

477 West 4th [Fourth] street.

  • Box 1, Item 59
To top

519 West 4th [Fourth] street.

  • Box 1, Item 60
To top

627 West 4th [Fourth] street. The Lunatic Asylum or Eastern State Hospital. Built in 1817.

  • Box 1, Item 61
To top

West 6th [Sixth] street

450 West 6th [Sixth] street. Built for John H. Robb before 1835. Sold to John Gibbs 1839. Enlarged and remodeled in 1866 for John B. Wallace.

  • Box 1, Item 62
To top

East 7th [Seventh] street

127 East 7th [Seventh] street. Built in mid 1800's.

  • Box 1, Item 63
To top

135 East 7th [Seventh] street.

  • Box 1, Item 64
To top

Barr

165 Barr. Built for Augustus Hall in 1844, sold a year later to Elizabeth N. and Victoria A. Payne.

  • Box 1, Item 65
To top

Bellaire

631 Bellaire. Built for Daniel Holsted in 1814.

  • Box 1, Item 66
To top

North Broadway

122-124 North Broadway. Built mid 1800's.

  • Box 1, Item 67
To top

180 North Broadway. Built by John McMurtry and purchased by Dr. James Fishback in 1838.

  • Box 1, Item 68
To top

182 North Broadway. Built by and for Stephan Chipley in 1838. John McMurtry acquired and sold it to Dr. Samuel Annan in 1846.

  • Box 1, Item 69
To top

192 North Broadway. Mid 1800's.

  • Box 1, Item 70
To top

231 North Broadway. Built by and for Thomas K. Layton in 1839. Enlarged for John S. Clark after 1882.

  • Box 1, Item 71
To top

239 North Broadway, left side view. Built for Thomas K. Layton in 1839 then purchased by Allen H. Clark in 1842, then Robert B. Hamilton in 1852.

  • Box 1, Item 72
To top

239 North Broadway, left side view, duplicate. Built for Thomas K. Layton in 1839 then purchased by Allen H. Clark in 1842, then Robert B. Hamilton in 1852.

  • Box 1, Item 73
To top

239 North Broadway, distant front view. Built for Thomas K. Layton in 1839 then purchased by Allen H. Clark in 1842, then Robert B. Hamilton in 1852.

  • Box 1, Item 74
To top

239 North Broadway, close front view. Built for Thomas K. Layton in 1839 then purchased by Allen H. Clark in 1842, then Robert B. Hamilton in 1852.

  • Box 1, Item 75
To top

247 North Broadway. Built for John B. Tilford in 1845. Sold to Thomas Davis Carneal in 1850.

  • Box 1, Item 76
To top

263 North Broadway. May have been built for Persickless Scott in 1840.

  • Box 1, Item 77
To top

301 North Broadway. Built for Josiah Ennis about 1840.

  • Box 1, Item 78
To top

309 North Broadway. Built by and for John Holmes after 1838.

  • Box 1, Item 79
To top

315 North Broadway, distant front view. Built by John Holmes for Josiah Ennis about 1838.

  • Box 1, Item 80
To top

315 North Broadway, right side view. Built by John Holmes for Josiah Ennis about 1838.

  • Box 1, Item 81
To top

315 North Broadway, left side view. Built by John Holmes for Josiah Ennis about 1838.

  • Box 1, Item 82
To top

315 North Broadway, close front view. Built by John Holmes for Josiah Ennis about 1838.

  • Box 1, Item 83
To top

331 North Broadway. Built by and for Perry W. Gaugh in 1841.

  • Box 1, Item 84
To top

335 North Broadway, right side view. Built for William Newberry, purchased soon after by Jabez Beach in 1841.

  • Box 1, Item 85
To top

335 North Broadway, right side view, duplicate. Built for William Newberry, purchased soon after by Jabez Beach in 1841.

  • Box 1, Item 86
To top

335 North Broadway, left side view. Built for William Newberry, purchased soon after by Jabez Beach in 1841.

  • Box 1, Item 87
To top

335 North Broadway, front view. Built for William Newberry, purchased soon after by Jabez Beach in 1841.

  • Box 1, Item 88
To top

556 North Broadway. Built before 1844 when house was sold by Mary K. Boswell to Robert Peter.

  • Box 1, Item 89
To top

900 North Broadway. Built for James B. January in 1814. Purchased by Dr. Benjamin W. Dudley in 1836.

  • Box 1, Item 90
To top

904 North Broadway. Fairlawn, built for Dr. Benjamin W. Dudley during the 1850's.

  • Box 1, Item 91
To top

South Broadway

308 South Broadway, close front view.

  • Box 1, Item 92
To top

308 South Broadway, distant front view.

  • Box 1, Item 93
To top

331 South Broadway, distant front view.

  • Box 1, Item 94
To top

331 South Broadway, close front view.

  • Box 1, Item 95
To top

352 South Broadway. May have been built by John McMurtry for the daughter of Dr. Elisha Warfield for use of his daughter, Laura R. Rodgers in the 1840's.

  • Box 1, Item 96
To top

355 South Broadway. Built for C. L. and Elizabeth Worley after 1861.

  • Box 1, Item 97
To top

361 South Broadway. Built by John McMurtry and sold to Edward McMurray in 1845.

  • Box 1, Item 98
To top

366 South Broadway.

  • Box 1, Item 99
To top

367 South Broadway. Built between 1855-64.

  • Box 1, Item 100
To top

370 South Broadway.

  • Box 2, Item 101
To top

420 South Broadway.

  • Box 2, Item 102
To top

432 South Broadway. John McMurtry house.

  • Box 2, Item 103
To top

1099 South Broadway. Gatehouse of Ingelside. Built by John McMurtry for Henry Boone Ingels in 1852.

  • Box 2, Item 104
To top

Bullock

715 Bullock. Built for James Masterson in 1790.

  • Box 2, Item 105
To top

Corral

311 Corral.

  • Box 2, Item 106
To top

342 Corral.

  • Box 2, Item 107
To top

345 Corral.

  • Box 2, Item 108
To top

356 Corral.

  • Box 2, Item 109
To top

365 Corral. May be mid 19th century.

  • Box 2, Item 110
To top

369 Corral. Perhaps mid 19th century.

  • Box 2, Item 111
To top

373 Corral.

  • Box 2, Item 112
To top

Loudoun House. Castlewood Park. Built in 1850 from plans of A. J. Davis by John McMurtry for A. J. Davis.

  • Box 2, Item 113
To top

530 Elm Tree lane. Was the Ida Harrison house.

  • Box 2, Item 114
To top

121 Forest avenue. Designed by Thomas Lewinski in 1845 and built as residence for James B. Clay.

  • Box 2, Item 115
To top

Georgetown

118 Georgetown. Built for James McConnell and given to John and Maria Trimble in 1825.

  • Box 2, Item 116
To top

146 Georgetown. Built for Abel Headington in 1810.

  • Box 2, Item 117
To top

147 Georgetown. Built for James Crutcher in 1847, sold to John H. Lusby in 1848.

  • Box 2, Item 118
To top

159 Georgetown. Acquired by Abraham S. Drake in 1831, remodeled for Dr. Benjamin P. Drake after 1841.

  • Box 2, Item 119
To top

167 Georgetown. Built for Mary May in 1802.

  • Box 2, Item 120
To top

173 Georgetown. Built for William Williams after 1813.

  • Box 2, Item 121
To top

219 Georgetown. Built in the mid 1800's.

  • Box 2, Item 122
To top

Goodloe

520 Goodloe. Built in the mid 1800's.

  • Box 2, Item 123
To top

522 Goodloe. Built in the mid 1800's.

  • Box 2, Item 124
To top

527 Goodloe. Built in the mid 1800's.

  • Box 2, Item 125
To top

326 Grosvenor. Built using designs by Benjamin H. Latrobe by Asa Williams for John Pope in 1811.

  • Box 2, Item 126
To top

East High street

101 East High street. Built for John Carty II in the 1830's.

  • Box 2, Item 127
To top

117 East High street. Built for John Parker in 1814.

  • Box 2, Item 128
To top

209 East High street. May have been built by John McMurtry for Jesse Bayles after 1840. Probably remodeled by John McMurtry for James Burnie Beck after 1848.

  • Box 2, Item 129
To top

224 East High street.

  • Box 2, Item 130
To top

259 East High street. May have been built by Jesse Bayles for William Wilson in 1839.

  • Box 2, Item 131
To top

425 East High street.

  • Box 2, Item 132
To top

426 East High street.

  • Box 2, Item 133
To top

West High street

102 West High street. Built for Samuel Ayres in 1810.

  • Box 2, Item 134
To top

108 West High street. May have been built for Richard Higgins before 1835 or for Dr. John C. and Samuel B. Richardson afterward. Enlarged after 1840.

  • Box 2, Item 135
To top

300 West High street. Built for Richard Higgins in 1806, sold to Thomas Wallace in 1810.

  • Box 2, Item 136
To top

302 West High street. West wing of Richard Higgins' house.

  • Box 2, Item 137
To top

316 West High street, front view. Built for John Lowman in 1808.

  • Box 2, Item 138
To top

316 West High street, left side view. Built for John Lowman in 1808.

  • Box 2, Item 139
To top

524 West High street. Built for Joseph Milward in the 1840's.

  • Box 2, Item 140
To top

528 West High street. May have been built for John C. McGoffin before 1838 or for Charles G. Young afterward.

  • Box 2, Item 141
To top

532 West High street. Built for Leavin Young after 1838.

  • Box 2, Item 142
To top

538 West High street, left side view. Built for Leavin Young after 1815. Deeded to Leavin P. Young II in 1856.

  • Box 2, Item 143
To top

538 West High street, distant right side view. Built for Leavin Young after 1815. Deeded to Leavin P. Young II in 1856.

  • Box 2, Item 144
To top

538 West High street, close right side view. Built for Leavin Young after 1815. Deeded to Leavin P. Young II in 1856.

  • Box 2, Item 145
To top

628 West High street. Built for Charles C. Young in 1845.

  • Box 2, Item 146
To top

703 West High street. Built before 1818 for Henry Watt.

  • Box 2, Item 147
To top

Jefferson

148 Jefferson. Built about 1825-30 and willed by Robert Wickliffe to daughter, Mary Howard Preston, in 1857.

  • Box 2, Item 148
To top

150 Jefferson.

  • Box 2, Item 149
To top

151-153 Jefferson. Built for Mary O. Russell in 1818.

  • Box 2, Item 150
To top

170 Jefferson. Built in mid 1800's for commercial purposes.

  • Box 2, Item 151
To top

320-322 Kilmore Court. "Cherry Grove" built before 1814 for Judge Charles Humphreys.

  • Box 2, Item 152
To top

1561 Lakewood drive. "Harmony Hall" built for John Carlisle in 1808. Remodeled late in the 1930s.

  • Box 2, Item 153
To top

Lane Allen

937 Lane Allen. Built in 1806 for Jesse Lamme.

  • Box 2, Item 154
To top

1020 Lane Allen. Built in the 1840s for Richard Allen.

  • Box 2, Item 155
To top

Lexington

266 Lexington, front view. Built for Elijah Smith after 1786. Enlarged for Joel Higgins about 1836-37. Designated Higgin's Mansion in MacGabe's city directory for 1838.

  • Box 2, Item 156
To top

266 Lexington, right side view. Built for Elijah Smith after 1786. Enlarged for Joel Higgins about 1836-37. Designated Higgin's Mansion in MacGabe's city directory for 1838.

  • Box 2, Item 157
To top

319 Lexington. Built by John McMurtry for John McGauley after 1850.

  • Box 2, Item 158
To top

North Limestone

169-171 North Limestone. Built for James Haggin about 1821.

  • Box 2, Item 159
To top

173 North Limestone. Built before 1806 for Isabella Lake, sold in 1807 to John Carty, then sold to Daniel M. Troutman in 1808.

  • Box 2, Item 160
To top

177 North Limestone. Built by John Anderson in 1807.

  • Box 2, Item 161
To top

192 North Limestone. Thomas Lewinskyi built residence for Edward P. Johnson in 1846-47. Purchased by David A. Sayre in 1855, opened in 1857 as Sayre Female Institute. Dormitory added in 1908, gymnasium in 1963, and library in 1973.

  • Box 2, Item 162
To top

216 North Limestone. Built by and for architect Matthew Kennedy after 1815. Sold to John Brand in 1834.

  • Box 2, Item 163
To top

226 North Limestone, front view B&W. Built for Burt T. Bealert before 1859.

  • Box 2, Item 164
To top

226 North Limestone, front door view. Built for Burt T. Bealert before 1859.

  • Box 2, Item 165
To top

226 North Limestone, right side view. Built for Burt T. Bealert before 1859.

  • Box 2, Item 166
To top

226 North Limestone, front side view (color). Built for Burt T. Bealert before 1859.

  • Box 2, Item 167
To top

234 North Limestone. May have been built by Matthew Kennedy and James W. Brand after 1813. Purchased by Burt T. Bealert in 1831.

  • Box 2, Item 168
To top

257 North Limestone. Built for John B. Harbin in 1838 or Martha Beard in 1840 as a store.

  • Box 2, Item 169
To top

261 North Limestone. Built for Robert Grinstead after 1809.

  • Box 2, Item 170
To top

263 North Limestone. Built for Joseph Wingate in 1813.

  • Box 2, Item 171
To top

312 North Limestone. Probably begun for James Weir before his death in 1832, but finished during early 1850's for John H. Woolfolk or Chief Justice Thomas A. Marshall.

  • Box 2, Item 172
To top

343 North Limestone. Antebellum house.

  • Box 2, Item 173
To top

349-51 North Limestone. Built in the mid 1800s.

  • Box 2, Item 174
To top

355 North Limestone. Built around 1863 for James Smith.

  • Box 2, Item 175
To top

363, 367, 371 North Limestone. Built in the 1880s by Cincinnatus Shryock.

  • Box 2, Item 176
To top

404 North Limestone. Built by and for John Leiby in the early 1800s. Nathaniel G. S. Hart bought it in 1809.

  • Box 2, Item 177
To top

422 North Limestone. Built for William Wiseman in the 1840's and willed to Elize Wiseman in 1858. Sold in 1860 to Augustus Clark.

  • Box 2, Item 178
To top

430 North Limestone. Built on remains of William Wiseman's warehouse built in the 1820s.

  • Box 2, Item 179
To top

436 North Limestone. Built by William H. Ellis in 1860. Sold to T. Armant in 1864.

  • Box 2, Item 180
To top

626 North Limestone. Built around 1870.

  • Box 2, Item 181
To top

450 North Limestone. Built for the Reverend James McChord in 1814. In 1820, it was owned by Joseph Cabell Brekinridge.

  • Box 2, Item 182
To top

461 North Limestone. Built for John Brand in 1812.

  • Box 2, Item 183
To top

503 North Limestone. Antebellum.

  • Box 2, Item 184
To top

518 North Limestone. Built for William "Lord" Morton in 1810. Home of Cassius Marcellus Clay 1838-50. Bought by the city in 1913.

  • Box 2, Item 185
To top

535 North Limestone. Note on back: There is no 533, is this 531, 529 or 535?

  • Box 2, Item 186
To top

551 North Limestone. Antebellum.

  • Box 2, Item 187
To top

561 North Limestone. Antebellum.

  • Box 2, Item 188
To top

620 North Limestone.

  • Box 2, Item 189
To top

644 North Limestone.

  • Box 2, Item 190
To top

South Limestone

137 South Limestone. Built before 1830 for David Megowan.

  • Box 2, Item 191
To top

146 South Limestone, right side view. Built for William Geers as an inn before 1818. Purchased in 1832 by James G. McKinney, became an in again 1837 owned by James O'Mara.

  • Box 2, Item 192
To top

146 South Limestone, back view. Built for William Geers as an inn before 1818. Purchased in 1832 by James G. McKinney, became an in again 1837 owned by James O'Mara.

  • Box 2, Item 193
To top

146 South Limestone, front side view. Built for William Geers as an inn before 1818. Purchased in 1832 by James G. McKinney, became an in again 1837 owned by James O'Mara.

  • Box 2, Item 194
To top

242 South Limestone. Built for John L. Wilmot in 1844, sold to John Kennard in 1854.

  • Box 2, Item 195
To top

245 South Limestone. Built for Samuel Oldham in 1835, sold to William R. Bradford in 1839.

  • Box 2, Item 196
To top

327 South Limestone. Antebellum.

  • Box 2, Item 197
To top

343 South Limestone. Antebellum.

  • Box 2, Item 198
To top

320 Linden Walk. Built by John McMurtry in the early 1850s for William R. Elley. Sold in 1856 to John L. Carclay. Later the home of Oliver Perry Alford. Used as a fraternity and hospital in the early 1900s.

  • Box 2, Item 199
To top

1228 Lisle Road. Built by and for William McConnell during the late 1700s. Passed on to his son in 1805.

  • Box 2, Item 200
To top

341 Madison Place. Built by John McMurtry for Major Madison Conyers Johnson in 1851.

  • Box 3, Item 201
To top

155 East Main street. 1872.

  • Box 3, Item 204
To top

West Main Street

101 West Main street. May have been built for John B. Johnson during the early 1830s.

  • Box 3, Item 202
To top

126 West Main street.

  • Box 3, Item 203
To top

200 West Main street. Melodeon Hall erected in the 1840's.

  • Box 3, Item 205
To top

301 West Main street. Built for Dr. Benjamin W. Dudley in 1834 for use as a hospital.

  • Box 3, Item 206
To top

357 West Main street. Built for John Hull in 1822, sold to William Van Pelt in 1836, then sold to Nathanial Shaw in 1838.

  • Box 3, Item 207
To top

574 West Main street. Built for William Palmateer before 1812 as an inn. Purchased by Robert S. Todd in 1838.

  • Box 3, Item 208
To top

608-610 West Main street. Mid 1800s.

  • Box 3, Item 209
To top

609 West Main street, right side view. Built for John D. Milbourne in 1855.

  • Box 3, Item 210
To top

609 West Main street, front side view. Built for John D. Milbourne in 1855.

  • Box 3, Item 211
To top

611 West Main street, right side view. Perhaps built by Elisha Cravens for John D. Dillon before 1833.

  • Box 3, Item 212
To top

611 West Main street, left side view Perhaps built by Elisha Cravens for John D. Dillon before 1833.

  • Box 3, Item 213
To top

611 West Main street, front view. Perhaps built by Elisha Cravens for John D. Dillon before 1833.

  • Box 3, Item 214
To top

614 West Main street. Harrison school, built in 1849.

  • Box 3, Item 215
To top

620 West Main street. Antebellum.

  • Box 3, Item 216
To top

623 West Main street. Built for Jasper Smith in 1821 and purchased for Henry Huckel in 1828.

  • Box 3, Item 217
To top

631 West Main street, front view. Built for Henry Huckel in 1833.

  • Box 3, Item 218
To top

631 West Main street, right side view. Built for Henry Huckel in 1833.

  • Box 3, Item 219
To top

631 West Main street, left side view. Built for Henry Huckel in 1833.

  • Box 3, Item 220
To top

631 West Main street, left side (front) view. Built for Henry Huckel in 1833.

  • Box 3, Item 221
To top

633 West Main street. Built for Henry Ruckel in 1833.

  • Box 3, Item 222
To top

642 West Main. Antebellum.

  • Box 3, Item 223
To top

646 West Main street.

  • Box 3, Item 224
To top

707 West Main street. May have been built for William Williams in 1805.

  • Box 3, Item 225
To top

715 West Main street. Built for Andrew Gilmore in 1850.

  • Box 3, Item 226a
To top

719 West Main street.

  • Box 3, Item 226b
To top

721 West Main street. Built for John Estes in 1842.

  • Box 3, Item 227
To top

727 West Main street. Built for Edward R. Ford in 1846, sold to Sampson Oots in 1848.

  • Box 3, Item 228
To top

731 West Main street. Built for William Montgomery in 1846.

  • Box 3, Item 229
To top

826 West Main street. Antebellum.

  • Box 3, Item 230
To top

920 Manchester street. May have been built for Henry Hess in 1816.

  • Box 3, Item 231
To top

Market Street

160 Market street. Christ Church Cathedral designed by Thomas Lewinski and built by John McMurtry from 1846-1848.

  • Box 3, Item 232
To top

190 Market street. Built after 1794 for Dr. Frederick Ridgely and sold to Dr. Elisha Warfield in 1806.

  • Box 3, Item 233
To top

200 Market street. Built by Samuel Long for Thomas H. Pindell, who sold it to General Thomas Bodley in 1814. Daniel Vertner purchased it in 1834.

  • Box 3, Item 234
To top

216 Market street. Built for Alexander Moore in 1836.

  • Box 3, Item 235
To top

220 Market street. Built for Peter Paul II in 1816 and sold to Mrs. Jane Hathaway in 1818, then in 1835 to Alexander Moore.

  • Box 3, Item 236
To top

228 Market street. May have been built by Robert Grinstead who sold it to John Stark in 1813. Purchased by Gideon Shyrock in 1832 then later became the home of Dr. Robert Peter.

  • Box 3, Item 237
To top

248 Market street. Built for Noah McClelland in 1850's, sold to Sarah W. Sanders in 1857.

  • Box 3, Item 238
To top

249-255 Market street. Built in 1816 by Matthew Kennedy.

  • Box 3, Item 239
To top

258 Market street. Built by and for John Anderson during the 1840's.

  • Box 3, Item 240
To top

262 Market street. Built by and for John Anderson in 1834.

  • Box 3, Item 241
To top

451 1/2 East Maxwell street. Antebellum.

  • Box 3, Item 242
To top

West Maxwell

423 West Maxwell street. Mid 1800's.

  • Box 3, Item 243
To top

429 West Maxwell street. Mid 1800's.

  • Box 3, Item 244
To top

608-618 West Maxwell street. Built after 1865.

  • Box 3, Item 245
To top

817 West Maxwell street. Built in 1851 as part of another house.

  • Box 3, Item 246
To top

North Mill

110 North Mill street. Built either for Dr. Robert C. Holland after 1833 or Dr. Lloyd Warfield in 1838.

  • Box 3, Item 247
To top

112 North Mill street. Mid 1800s.

  • Box 3, Item 248
To top

125 North Mill street. Built by M. Mathurin Giron in 1837.

  • Box 3, Item 249
To top

160 North Mill street. Owned by Dr. Benjamin W. Dudley from 1818-52.

  • Box 3, Item 250
To top

178 North Mill street, front side view. Law office of Henry Clay. Built by Stephens & Winslow for Henry Clay in 1804-1805.

  • Box 3, Item 251
To top

178 North Mill street, right side view. Law office of Henry Clay. Built by Stephens & Winslow for Henry Clay in 1804-1805.

  • Box 3, Item 252
To top

178 North Mill street, right side view. Law office of Henry Clay. Built by Stephens & Winslow for Henry Clay in 1804-1805.

  • Box 3, Item 253
To top

184 North Mill street, right side view(b&w). Built for David A. Sayre in 1816, then sold to Sarah Ward in 1832.

  • Box 3, Item 254
To top

184 North Mill street, front side view. Built for David A. Sayre in 1816, then sold to Sarah Ward in 1832.

  • Box 3, Item 255
To top

184 North Mill street, right side view. Built for David A. Sayre in 1816, then sold to Sarah Ward in 1832.

  • Box 3, Item 256
To top

201 North Mill street, right side view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814.

  • Box 3, Item 257
To top

201 North Mill street, front door view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814.

  • Box 3, Item 258
To top

201 North Mill street, left side view(close up). Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814.

  • Box 3, Item 259
To top

201 North Mill street. Gazebo. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814.

  • Box 3, Item 260
To top

201 North Mill street. Gazebo, right side view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814.

  • Box 3, Item 261
To top

201 North Mill street. Gazebo, close up view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814.

  • Box 3, Item 262
To top

201 North Mill street, back side. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814.

  • Box 3, Item 263
To top

201 North Mill street, left side view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814.

  • Box 3, Item 264
To top

201 North Mill street, court yard view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814.

  • Box 3, Item 265
To top

231 North Mill street. Mount Hope. Built for General John M. McCalla after 1819. Sold to Benjamin Gratz in 1824.

  • Box 3, Item 266
To top

South Mill

108-110 South Mill street. Samuel and George Trotter built a warehouse here after 1802 as an adjunct to their store at the other end of the block, southeast corner of Main street.

  • Box 3, Item 267
To top

317 South Mill street. Built in 1784 for Rev. Adam Rankin

  • Box 3, Item 268
To top

318 South Mill street. Built by Samuel Long for Samuel Trotter in 1812. Bought by George Robertson in 1836. Split into two houses before 1886

  • Box 3, Item 269
To top

329-331 South Mill street. Built for James Lemon in 1812 and given to daughter, Mrs. james Grooms, in 1838

  • Box 3, Item 270
To top

337 South Mill street. Rear section built for William C. Bell before 1816. Front built for Thomas Smith in 1829

  • Box 3, Item 271
To top

340 South Mill street. Built before 1836 when it was turned into a residence for Judge George Robertson

  • Box 3, Item 272
To top

347 South Mill street. Built for John W. Russell in 1832

  • Box 3, Item 273
To top

352 South Mill street. Built for Charles McPheeters in 1824

  • Box 3, Item 274
To top

353 South Mill street. Front section may have been built for Levon Showerd before 1832 and rear section built for Mrs. Polly Laudry sometime after

  • Box 3, Item 275
To top

359 South Mill street. Built either for William Poindexter in the 1830's or for Henry Lancaster after 1845

  • Box 3, Item 276
To top

362 South Mill street. Built either for James Trotter after 1824 or A. S. Elliot after 1846

  • Box 3, Item 277
To top

408 South Mill street. May be antebellum.

  • Box 3, Item 278
To top

411 South Mill street. Built by and for Cornelius Welman in 1816

  • Box 3, Item 279
To top

416-418 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836

  • Box 3, Item 280
To top

416-418 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836

  • Box 3, Item 281
To top

422-426 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836

  • Box 3, Item 282
To top

422-426 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836

  • Box 3, Item 283
To top

422-426 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836

  • Box 3, Item 284
To top

431 South Mill street. Built after 1865, possibly by John McMurtry

  • Box 3, Item 285
To top

432 South Mill street. Built for J. B. Wilgus in 1846

  • Box 3, Item 286
To top

432 South Mill street. Built for J. B. Wilgus in 1846

  • Box 3, Item 287
To top

432 South Mill street. Built for J. B. Wilgus in 1846

  • Box 3, Item 288
To top

505 South Mill street. Built for Major William S. Dallam in 1813

  • Box 3, Item 289
To top

515 South Mill street. Antebellum

  • Box 3, Item 290
To top

602 South Mill street. Built for Marnix Virden in 1818

  • Box 3, Item 291
To top

Old Frankfort Pike

1213 Old Frankfort pike. Built by James McConnell in the late 1700's or early 1800's, or by Thomas Royle after 1806

  • Box 3, Item 292
To top

1401 Old Frankfort pike. Built for Benjamin Bosworth after 1857

  • Box 3, Item 293
To top

Parkers Mill Road, Rose Hill. Built before 1813.

  • Box 3, Item 294
To top

Pine Street

530 Pine street. Antebellum

  • Box 3, Item 295
To top

726 Pine street. Antebellum

  • Box 3, Item 296
To top

Pine Meadow

1528 Pine Meadow

  • Box 3, Item 297
To top

1528 Pine Meadow

  • Box 3, Item 298
To top

1528 Pine Meadow

  • Box 3, Item 299
To top

Richmond Road

Richmond Road, Mansfield. Commissioned by Henry Clay and designed by Thomas Lewinsky. Built in 1845 for Thomas Hart Clay.

  • Box 3, Item 300
To top

Richmond Road, Fields House. Fayette.

  • Box 4, Item 301
To top

Rose Street. Built in 1870 for James Hilary Mulligan. University of Kentucky president's house since 1917

  • Box 4, Item 302
To top

601 Sayre avenue. Woodside. Built by William Stewart around 1840 for Henry Bell. Greatly altered in the end of the 1800's

  • Box 4, Item 303
To top

266 East Short street. First Baptist Church, built in the 1880'

  • Box 4, Item 304
To top

West Short Street

307 West Short street. Built after 1825. Old city Post Office

  • Box 4, Item 305
To top

342 West Short street. Built for Purnell Bishop in 1836

  • Box 4, Item 306
To top

357 West Short street. Built for William Hearne in 1838

  • Box 4, Item 307
To top

501 West Short street, St. Paul's Church. Designed by Pickett & Son and constructed during the mid 1860's

  • Box 4, Item 308
To top

501 West Short street, St. Paul's Church. Designed by Pickett & Son and constructed during the mid 1860's

  • Box 4, Item 309
To top

504 West Short street. Built in 1812

  • Box 4, Item 310
To top

520 West Short street. Antebellum

  • Box 4, Item 311
To top

522 West Short street. Built by Elzy Harney and Benjamin Ford in 1836. Sold to Robert King

  • Box 4, Item 312
To top

563 West Short street. Built for James Eades about 1806

  • Box 4, Item 313
To top

574 West Short street. Mid 1800's

  • Box 4, Item 314
To top

575 West Short street. Built by and for Stephan Holland Reid around 1806.

  • Box 4, Item 315
To top

579 West Short street. Built by and for Stephan Holland Reid after 1812.

  • Box 4, Item 316
To top

592 West Short street. Built by Robert King for Samuel McMeekin in 1838. Owned by David McMurtry from 1854-84.

  • Box 4, Item 317
To top

601 West Short street. Built by Warren Outten or Robert King in 1840 and sold to James G. Mathers in 1841.

  • Box 4, Item 318
To top

606 West Short street. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 319
To top

609 West Short street. Rear of house built by and for John Shrock before 1818. Front portion built for Charles R. Thompson in 1840.

  • Box 4, Item 320
To top

612 West Short street. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 321
To top

616 West Short street. Built for Benjamin Ford in 1837.

  • Box 4, Item 322
To top

623 West Short street. Built by John McMurtry in 1844 and sold the next year to William R. Snyder.

  • Box 4, Item 323
To top

625 West Short street. Built for Thomas J. Harrison in 1843.

  • Box 4, Item 324
To top

628 West Short street. Built by John W. Russell and sold in 1836 to Charles Cullum.

  • Box 4, Item 325
To top

629 West Short street. Built for James G. Mathers in 1845.

  • Box 4, Item 326
To top

632 West Short street. Built by John W. Russell in 1836.

  • Box 4, Item 327
To top

633 West Short street. Built by and for Benjamin Ford in 1835.

  • Box 4, Item 328
To top

636 and 640 West Short street. Built by Robert King and Captain Macy Thwaits before 1840.

  • Box 4, Item 329
To top

643 West Short street. Built for Robert Wicklife, possibly by John McMurtry. Sold to Thomas Bradley in 1843.

  • Box 4, Item 330
To top

648 West Short street

  • Box 4, Item 331
To top

700 West Short street. Built for Peter Elliot before 1853.

  • Box 4, Item 332
To top

704 West Short street. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 333
To top

708 West Short street. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 334
To top

712 West Short street. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 335
To top

716 West Short street. Mid 1800's.

  • Box 4, Item 336
To top

Spring

387 Spring. Mid 1800's. Torn down 1975

  • Box 4, Item 337
To top

403 Spring

  • Box 4, Item 338
To top

423 Spring

  • Box 4, Item 339
To top

422 Spring. Built for Henry A. Saxon in 1845.

  • Box 4, Item 340
To top

426 Spring. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 341
To top

501 Spring. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 342
To top

Sycamore/Ashland estate. Built in 1857 for James B. Clay using plans by Thomas Lewinski.

  • Box 4, Item 343
To top

Tates Creek Road

2705 Tates Creek Road. Buddy Portter or Parker.

  • Box 4, Item 344
To top

2709 Tates Creek road. Spring house. Bob Mayes Smoke house.

  • Box 4, Item 345
To top

1833 Tates Creek Road. Ware farm.

  • Box 4, Item 346
To top

Walnut

125 Walnut. Built either for Benjamin Warfield before 1844 or William H. Newberry afterward. Purchased by Peter S. Rule in 1853.

  • Box 4, Item 347
To top

174 Walnut. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 348
To top

174 Walnut. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 349
To top

174 Walnut. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 350
To top

174 Walnut. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 351
To top

174 Walnut. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 352
To top

178 Walnut. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 353
To top

345-347 Walnut. Built after 1861.

  • Box 4, Item 354
To top

351 Walnut. Built after 1861.

  • Box 4, Item 355
To top

362 Walnut. Built before 1853.

  • Box 4, Item 356
To top

327 Wilgus street. Built before 1855. May have been owned by J. McCracken.

  • Box 4, Item 357
To top

Winchester Road/Forkland. May have been owned by Jonathan Rigger or Benjamin Warfield.

  • Box 4, Item 358
To top

North Upper Street

112 North Upper street. Built for William W. Worsley before or Thomas Collins before 1851, John B. Stout in 1853, or Dr. Foster Pettit in 1859.

  • Box 4, Item 359
To top

122-124 North Upper street. Built for Dr. Walter Warfield in 1806.

  • Box 4, Folder 360
To top

171 North Upper street. Built for Thomas Bradley in 1847.

  • Box 4, Item 361
To top

200 North Upper street. Built for William E. Bain in 1854.

  • Box 4, Item 362
To top

217 North Upper street. Built for William L. Taylor after 1876.

  • Box 4, Item 363
To top

251 North Upper street. Built after 1865.

  • Box 4, Item 364
To top

265 North Upper street. St. Paul Church. Built before 1827 and remodeled in 1878 and 1906.

  • Box 4, Item 365
To top

314,316-318 North Upper street. May have been built for Samuel Owens in 1815.

  • Box 4, Item 366
To top

338 North Upper street. Antebellum.

  • Box 4, Item 367
To top

South Upper Street

118 South Upper street. Built for William Morton in 1826 and sold to W. W. Bruce in 1862.

  • Box 4, Item 368
To top

126-128 South Upper street. Built for William Morton in 1826, sold to Larkin C. and Thomas G. Randall in 1849.

  • Box 4, Item 369
To top

324 South Upper street. Built by John McMurtry for George A. Bowyer in 1846-47.

  • Box 4, Item 370
To top

327 South Upper street. Built for Thomas Pindell in 1813.

  • Box 4, Item 371
To top

327 South Upper street. Built for Thomas Pindell in 1813.

  • Box 4, Item 372
To top

327 South Upper street. Built for Thomas Pindell in 1813.

  • Box 4, Item 373
To top

327 South Upper street. Built for Thomas Pindell in 1813.

  • Box 4, Item 374
To top

328 South Upper street. Built by Thomas Ross around 1840 and sold to Richard Higgins in 1847.

  • Box 4, Item 375
To top

333 South Upper street. Built in 1817 for John P. Aldridge's Lancastrian School. Purchased in 1824 by Colonel Josiah Dunham in 1824 for a girls academy. Purchased in 1834 by Luther H. Van Doren to be used as a female seminary.

  • Box 4, Item 376
To top

340, 344 South Upper street. Built for John B. Johnson after 1839.

  • Box 4, Item 377
To top

346 South Upper street. Built for James B. Woodruff after 1837.

  • Box 4, Item 378
To top

347 South Upper street. Built for Elisha Allen in 1805.

  • Box 4, Item 379
To top

359 South Upper street. Built by and for Warner Hawkins after 1805.

  • Box 4, Item 380
To top

360 South Upper street. Built for Elizabeth Barry around 1834.

  • Box 4, Item 381
To top

361 South Upper street. Built for John Stilfield about 1805.

  • Box 4, Item 382
To top

371 South Upper street. Built for Joseph Pulliam after 1806.

  • Box 4, Item 383
To top

375-377 South Upper street. Built around 1804.

  • Box 4, Item 384
To top

417 South Upper street. May have been built by Hallett M. Winslow and Luther Stephens, who sold the lot to Jeremiah Murphy in 1839.

  • Box 4, Item 385
To top

432 South Upper street. Built either for Rebecca Whitt after 1840 or Francis B. Rust after 1851.

  • Box 4, Item 386
To top

510 South Upper street. Built for Joseph Beard in 1846.

  • Box 4, Item 387
To top

520 South Upper street. Built before 1840. Demolished 1974

  • Box 4, Item 388
To top

520 South Upper street. Built before 1840. Demolished 1974

  • Box 4, Item 389
To top

521-523 South Upper street. Built in the mid-1800's

  • Box 4, Item 390
To top

526 South Upper. Built around 1838. Torndown 1974

  • Box 4, Item 391
To top

526 South Upper. Built around 1838. Torn down 1974

  • Box 4, item 392

530 South Upper. ca. 1838 Torn down 1974.

  • Box 4, Item 393
To top

530 South Upper. Pre 1838 Torn down 1974

  • Box 4, Item 394
To top

Researchers are encouraged to request collections at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Questions? Contact us at https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.

Requests

No items have been requested.



Enter a comma-separated list of the tags you want associated with this request.






Researchers are encouraged to request collections at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Questions? Contact us at https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.