Melville Otter Briney Photograph Collection, ca. 1890-ca. 1979
- Melville Otter Briney Photograph Collection, ca. 1890-ca. 1979
- Briney, Melville Otter, 1899-1986
- 264 items
- Actresses-- Kentucky-- Louisville-- Photographs.
- Anderson, Mary, 1859-1940-- Pictorial works.
- Briney family-- Pictorial works.
- Carter family-- Pictorial works.
- Otter family-- Pictorial works.
- Rice, Alice Caldwell Hegan, 1870-1942-- Pictorial works.
- Women authors, American-- Kentucky-- Photographs.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Melville Otter Briney was a Louisville author and columnist for the Louisville Times. Her weekly column, "Old Louisville," recounted stories of people, events, and places in Louisville history and often drew upon memories of her childhood on St. James Court. Her husband, Russell Briney, was a reporter for the Courier-journal. The collection includes photographs of members of the Briney, Otter, and Carter families. Albums of snapshots taken by Mrs. Briney picture her girlhood friends and schoolmates, parties, and vacations from 1912-1916. Identified photographs include Mary Anderson, John Otter Briney, Melville Otter Briney, Russell Briney, Mrs. James G. Carter, Melvilla B. Carter Otter, John Delaware Otter, and Alice Hegan Rice