William Meriwether Papers,1780-1818
- William Meriwether Papers,1780-1818
- Meriwether, William, ca. 1757-1814
- 0.33 cubic ft.
- Meriwether, Nicholas, 1749-1828.
- Meriwether, Richard, b. 1777.
- Meriwether, Sarah Oldham, 1772-1830.
- Meriwether, Valentine, 1761-1832.
- Pope, John, 1770-1845.
- Speed, James, 1739-1811.
- Tarascon, John A., d. 1825.
- Slavery-- Kentucky-- History-- Sources.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Pioneer of Jefferson County, Ky. Papers consist of correspondence, 1787-1811, chiefly with his brother, Valentine Meriwether of Louisa County, Va., about the estate of their father, William Meriwether, and litigation in which they were engaged; statements of account, 1788-1813; bond of Nicholas Meriwether to William Meriwether for the sale of 1100 acres of land on Mulberry Creek, a branch of Brashear's Creek, and for 600 acres on the waters of Beargrass Creek, July 1780; slavery documents, including a bill of sale for a girl, 21 Dec. 1795, and a contract for hire of a man, 23 Mar. 1801; agreement of William Meriwether and James Speed about land, undated legal papers in case of Isaac Hite's heirs v. William Meriwether, 1811-1815; fee bills, 1789-1811; estate papers, 1814-1818; and statements of account, 1814-1827, against Sarah Oldham Meriwether. A calendar of correspondence is filed with the collection