Thomas N. Eastin Journal, 1849
- Thomas N. Eastin Journal, 1849
- Eastin, Thomas N.
- 1 v. (195 p.)
- Fort Bridger (Wyo.)
- Cholera-- United States-- History-- Sources.
- California-- Gold discoveries.
- Fort Laramie (Wyo. : Fort)
- West (U.S.)-- Description and travel.
- Fort Phil Kearny (Wyo.)
- Overland journeys to the Pacific-- Sources.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Eastin's travel journey from 1 May - 19 August 1849 describes his trip from Henderson, Kentucky to the gold mines in California via the Oregon Trail and other routes. He notes stops at Forts Kearny, Laramie, and Bridger, Salt Lake City, and Valley of a Thousand Springs; scenery; contacts with other emigrants and Indians; illnesses, especially cholera; and hardships