Gladys Jameson Papers,1918-1980
- Gladys Jameson Papers,1918-1980
- Jameson, Gladys, 1899-1973
- 1 lin. ft.
- Sweet Rivers of Song, by Gladys Jameson (book)
- Inquiring Listener, by Gladys Jameson (book)
- Appalachia -- Music, folk
- Appalachia -- Ballads
- Wake and Sing, by Gladys Jameson (book)
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- Jameson, a native of Pennsylvania, was employed by the Berea College Music Department in 1916 as a piano and organ teacher. Throughout her career at Berea she was engaged actively in the collection and arrangement of Appalachian folk music, two volumes of which were published subsequent to her retirement: WAKE AND SING (1955), and SWEET RIVERS OF SONG (1967).
- Scope and Content
- This collection is comprised of manuscripts, correspondence, and related publications of Gladys Jameson, a folk ballad collector and member of the Berea College Music Department from 1916 to 1954.
- Materials include manuscript arrangements of folk and original music by Jameson; her drafts of articles or longer manuscripts, including SWEET RIVERS OF SONG and THE INQUIRING LISTENER; miscellaneous notebooks and correspondence; and assorted clippings and printed materials on her career.