John Breckinridge Castleman Collection,1854-1913
- John Breckinridge Castleman Collection,1854-1913
- Castleman, John Breckinridge, 1841-1911
- 0.33 cubic ft.
- Beall, John Yates, 1835-1865.
- Clay, Clement Claiborne, 1816-1882.
- Thompson, Jacob, 1810-1885.
- United States-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Secret service-- Sources.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Confederate officer and later general in the U.S. Army. Chiefly correspondence, 1854-1911. Some of the letters collected by General Castleman were written by, to and about Confederate agents in Canada during the Civil War. One letter contains an account of a visit to Captain John Y. Beall in prison before his execution. Other Confederate agents include Jacob Thompson, Clement C. Clay, and Bennett H. Young. Also a 1911 article entitled "The Kentucky Mounted Gun Men and the Sabine War" written by Castleman