Annville Institute Records,1900-1980 (bulk 1909-1979)
- Annville Institute Records,1900-1980 (bulk 1909-1979)
- Annville Institute
- 21 microfilm reels
- Women -- Settlement workers
- Organizations, missionary -- Reformed Church in America -- Women's Board of Domestic Missions
- McKee, Kentucky -- McKee Academy
- Schools, settlement -- McKee Academy
- Annville, Kentucky -- Annville Institute
- Schools, settlement -- Annville Institute
- Jackson County, Kentucky -- Schools, settlement
- Appalachia -- Schools, settlement
- Organizations, women's -- Reformed Church in America -- Women's Board of Domestic Missions
- Missions -- Jackson County Ministries
- Jackson County, Kentucky -- Missions
- Curriculum -- Annville Institute
- Annville, Kentucky -- Jackson County Ministries
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- Annville Institute was an early outgrowth of work begun in Jackson County by the Women's Board of Domestic Missions, the missionary branch of the Reformed Church in America (RCA). McKee was chosen as the first mission site and an academy was founded. By 1909, it was decided to turn the McKee Academy over to the county to run as a high school and to establish an industrial school at Annville. William A. Worthington and his wife, Henrietta Zwemer Tekolste Worthington, were given charge of the work and a school for grades one through eight opened in early 1910.
- Basic educational skills became the focus although providing practical skills was also emphasized. By 1924, all twelve grades were offered. Boys and girls assisted in the operation of the school and its physical plant, with boys being trained in agriculture, automobile mechanics, plumbing, and other skills while girls were trained in weaving, laundry operation, sewing, and home nursing. This maintenance/educational program was sustained through the 1940s and continued despite some decline in administrative support. The 1960s and 1970s were a period of evaluation and transition for the school though the focus on academics, extracurricular activities, and Christian evangelism remained. Public schools and better roads, however, led to the closing of the Institute in 1978.
- Beginning in 1978, a local RCA-related corporation, Jackson County Ministries, maintained the facilities and coordinated a variety of recreational programs for church-affiliated groups and operated important social ministries.