Don Carlos Buell Letter, 1887 Oct. 28
- Don Carlos Buell Letter, 1887 Oct. 28
- Buell, Don Carlos, 1818-1898
- 1 item
- United States.-- Army.-- History-- Mexican War, 1846-1848.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- American general. Letter to William F. Smith, Wilmington, Del. While commenting on an article written by Smith, Buell defends West Point and the regular army by comparing their performance with volunteer forces in the Mexican War. He states that the war was "substantially fought by educated soldiers . . . Even the volunteers were largely moulded and inspired by West Point men . . ." He compliments the valor of the volunteer soldiers but notes that the regular army "contributed the most