Francis S. Hutchins Subject Files,1939-1967 (bulk 1955-1967)
- Francis S. Hutchins Subject Files,1939-1967 (bulk 1955-1967)
- Berea College
- 8 lin. ft.
- Students, Afro-American
- Organizations, campus -- Phi Kappa Phi
- Fund raising -- Berea College
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:M. Plarr
- Berea College
- Scope and Content
- Subject files include correspondence, reports, pamphlets, and publications, arranged in sections on Educational Associations, the Ford Foundation, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, and General Subjects.
- Educational Associations files (1.2 l.f.; 1955 - 1960) reflect Berea's institutional affiliations with such groups as the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, the American Council on Education, and the Association of American Colleges, as well as Hutchins's individual memberships and participation.
- Ford Foundation files (1.2 l.f.; 1955 - 1966) document various donations of funds to Berea College, including a two million challenge grant from the Foundation made from 1962 to 1965.
- NATO files (1.2 l.f.) reflect Hutchins's membership on the United States Citizens Commission on NATO, the purpose of which was to explore ways in which the nations within NATO could promote democratic freedom by economic and political means. Included among files are numerous reports and position papers written by Commission members.
- The remaining subject files (2.5 l.f.; 1939 - 1967) are, in general, reflective of the day-to-day administration of Berea College. Sample folder titles include Carnegie Corporation, Electric Utilities, Frontier Nursing Service, India Project, Negroes, Phi Kappa Phi, and YMCA - Berea College, among others.
- Folder list