Charles Wilkins Short Papers,1826-1834
- Charles Wilkins Short Papers,1826-1834
- Short, Charles Wilkins,1794-1863
- .25cubic ft.
- Medical students -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
- Physicians -- Kentucky.
- Short, Charles Wilkins, 1794-1863.
- Transylvania University -- Faculty.
- Medical colleges -- Kentucky -- Louisville.
- Universities and colleges -- Kentucky -- Lexington -- Faculty.
- Botanists -- Kentucky.
- Transylvania University
- Biography / History
- Charles Wilkins Short was born in Woodford County, Kentucky. He earned a bachelor's degree from Transylvania University in 1811 and studied medicine at the University of Pennsylvania where he developed an interest in botany. In 1825 he joined the faculty of the medical department at Transylvania as professor of materia medica and medical botany. Short left Transylvania in 1838 to join the faculty of the Louisville Medical Institute. He published more than thirty works on botany and is credited with promoting the study of the flora of the region.
- Scope and Content
- This is a small collection of correspondence and other documents which relate to Charles Wilkins Short's tenure at Transylvania University in Lexington, Kentucky. Included is a list of medical school graduates from 1828.