Viley Family Collection, 1876-1948 (bulk 1924-1926)
- Viley Family Collection, 1876-1948 (bulk 1924-1926)
- Viley Family
- 1 cubic ft.
- Witherspoon, Lister -- Estates
- Witherspoon, Lister -- Will
- Witherspoon, Martinette Viley -- Diaries
- Viley family -- Genealogy
- Alexander, Oakley A.
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Biography / History
- The Viley's were a prominent Woodford County, Kentucky family. One member, Anne Viley, married George Johnson who was Kentucky's first Provisional Governor. Her papers are located in the George Johnson Collection of the KHS Special Collection Archives.
- Scope and Content
- A one cubic foot collection that contains extensive genealogy information on the Vileys, Witherspoons, and other allied families. Included in the group are original documents concerning family farms, livestock and agriculture, rental houses, and family legal papers. Most notablei this last type are the insurance documents, estate documents, and court documents stemming from a family dispute among various Viley family members. Most of the legal correspondence was created by Oakley A. Alexander. The collection also contains scrapbooks, diaries, and sheet music from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Much of this material is undated. The original compiler of the genealogical informtion, Martinette Viley Witherspoon, also wrote a number of personal narratives about her memories of antebellum Woodford County, Kentucky. Much of these records form the foundation of her published family genealogy.
- Woodford County, KY