Albert Sidney Johnston to Colonel S. Cooper
- Albert Sidney Johnston to Colonel S. Cooper
- 1857 January 4
- Johnston, Albert Sidney, 1803-1862
- 0.1 Cubic feet
- Collection is arranged by format.
- Preferred Citation
- 2011MS139: [identification of item], Albert Sidney Johnston to Colonel S. Cooper, 1857 January 4, University of Kentucky Special Collections.
- University of Kentucky
- Biography / History
- Albert Sidney Johnston (1803-1862) was a Kentucky born Confederate general. A graduate from both Transylvania University and West Point, Johnston served in the army until he resigned his commission in 1834 due to his wife's ill health. Following his wife's death, Johnston moved to Texas in 1836 and joined the Texas army, where he served as adjutant general and senior brigadier general in command of the army. In the new Republic of Texas Johnston became the Secretary of War. After Texas' entry into the United States, Johnston resumed his career in the army until he resigned in 1861. Jefferson Davis made Johnston a Confederate general and put him in charge of the Western Army. During the Civil War, Johnston took Bowling Green, Kentucky, and died at the battle of Shiloh in 1862.
- Jeanette H. Flachmeier, "JOHNSTON, ALBERT SIDNEY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fjo32), accessed December 02, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
- Scope and Content
- The collection consists of a letter from Albert Sidney Johnston to Colonel S. Cooper concerning the court of inquiry in the case of Captain Van Bokelin and issues with the quartermaster in Indianola, Texas.
Restrictions on Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access
- Conditions Governing Access note Collection is open to researchers by appointment.
- Use Restrictions
- The physical rights to the materials in this collection are held by the University of Kentucky Special Collections.
No items have been requested.
Researchers are encouraged to request collections at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Questions? Contact us at https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.