Charles Caldwell Papers,[ca. 1817-1940] (bulk 1820-1839)
- Charles Caldwell Papers,[ca. 1817-1940] (bulk 1820-1839)
- Caldwell, Charles, 1772-1853
- .25 cubic ft.
- Caldwell family
- Caldwell, Charles, 1772-1853.
- Medical colleges -- Kentucky -- Lexington -- Faculty.
- Medical colleges -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
- Medical colleges -- Kentucky -- Louisville.
- Physicians -- Kentucky.
- Transylvania University -- Faculty. -- Photographs
- Transylvania University. Medical Dept.
- Business enterprises -- Kentucky -- Fayette County -- Photographs
- Louisville Medical Institute.
- Kentucky. General Assembly.
- Dwellings -- Kentucky -- Fayette County -- Photographs
- Transylvania University. Board of Curators.
- Transylvania University
- Biography / History
- Charles Caldwell was a noted physician and educator who joined the faculty of the Medical Department of Transylvania University in 1819. He authored over 200 books and papers. Involved in the controversy over moving the medical school from Transylvania to Louisville, he left the university in 1837 to help found the Louisville Medical Institute.
- Scope and Content
- This is a collection of documents related to Charles Caldwell. Many date from the period when he was a member of the medical faculty of Transylvania University in Lexington, Kentucky. |b Included are such things as correspondence, including letters of recommendations, a handwritten lecture, a report to the Kentucky General Assembly on the Medical Department at Transylvania, and a list of rare scientific books purchased by Caldwell for the university in 1821. Scattered documents about the controversy over moving the medical school to Louisville, are also present. |b Twentieth century materials include correspondence descendents of the Caldwell family, reports to the university board of curators, financial and accounting information, and other collected materials about Caldwell and medical school controversy.