Good Samaritan Hospital records

Abstract

The Good Samaritan Hospital records (.5 cubic feet, 1 box, 2 folders; dated 1889-1956, bulk 1889-1928) comprises a small group of records and architectural drawings from Good Samaritan Hospital, in Lexington, Ky.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Good Samaritan Hospital records
Date
1889-1956
Extent
0.5 Cubic feet
Subjects
Blueprints.
Hospital architecture
Hospital buildings--Design and construction
Hospital records.
Hospitals--Kentucky--Lexington--Administration.
Racism in medicine
Reports.
Arrangement
Collection is arranged by form.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Archives staff; Ruth E. Bryan
Preferred Citation
47M84: [Identification of item], Good Samaritan Hospital records, 1889-1956, University of Kentucky Special Collections.
Repository
University of Kentucky

Collection Overview

Biography / History
The Women's Guild of Christ Church Cathedral established the Protestant Infirmary in 1888, originally housed at 333 Short Street, Lexington, Ky., the former H.H. Gratz property. In 1890, the Infirmary Board began a Nursing School, which operated through 1971. In 1899, the hospital was renamed Good Samaritan Hospital, becoming a corporation, and the Board of Governors was restructured, comprising representatives of six local Protestant churches. In 1905, after a capital campaign spearheaded by Christ Church member George Weeks, the corporation purchased property at 310 South Limestone street from W.H. McCorkle, formerly the James O. Harrison estate. In 1924, the Methodist Church took over management of the hospital and in 1982, the Good Samaritan Foundation, Inc., was established. In 1995, the Board of Trustees sold the hospital to the Columbia/HCA Healthcare Corporation. In 2007, it was purchased by the University of Kentucky HealthCare.
George S. Weeks was a banker and fundraiser in Lexington, Kentucky. He was born in Paris, Kentucky, in May 1869, where his father was rector at St. Peter's Church. He served as Vice President of Second National Bank of Lexington and Manager of Lexington Clearing House Association. He lost his sight at age 60.
UK HealthCare. About Good Samaritan Hospital. Last modified May 31, 2013. http://ukhealthcare.uky.edu/gs/about/.
Scope and Content
The Good Samaritan Hospital records (.5 cubic feet, 1 box, 5 oversize folders; dated 1889-1956) comprises a small group of records and architectural drawings from Good Samaritan Hospital in Lexington, Ky. The records include an account book of the Protestant Infirmary (1889-1897); Good Samaritan treasurer's reports (1908-1911); financial and capital campaign records (1901-1913); newspaper clippings (1929-1953); and records documenting the involvement of George Weeks and Christ Church Cathedral (Lexington, Ky.) in the hospital's finances (1956). The five sets of architectural drawings on vellum (primarily dated 1905-1906) include complete sets for the Colored Ward, Nurses House, and the Main Building (both drawn by Anderson & Faig). The drawings also include blueprints for alternations and additions to the hospital, dated June 15, 1928, and drawn by Clifford R. Reichert for Starks Building, Louisville, Ky.

Restrictions on Access and Use

Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Access note Collection is open for research.
Use Restrictions
Property rights reside with the University of Kentucky. The University of Kentucky holds the copyright for materials created in the course of business by University of Kentucky employees. Copyright for all other materials has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky. For information about permission to reproduce or publish, please contact Special Collections.

Contents of the Collection

Records, 1889-1956

Protestant Infirmary account book, 1899 Dec.-1897 Oct.

  • Box 1, Folder 1
To top

Treasurer's reports, 1908 Dec.-1911 Nov.

  • Box 1, Folder 2
Missing the following minutes: January 19009; September 1910; April, June, and September 1911. To top

Clippings, 1929-1953

  • Box 1, Folder 3
To top

Miscellaneous, 1901-1956

  • Box 1, Folder 4
Includes financial statements, 1901-1911; fundraising and capital campaign literature, 1913 and undated; annual report, Feb. 13, 1913; programs for the dedication of the Mary A. Ott Memorial, Sept. 9, 1931; an interview transcript of original capital campaign manager and Christ Church member George Weeks by Jay Jay for radio station WVLK, June 29, 1954; and minutes of the Finance Committee of the Christ Church Vestry discussing and itemizing the various named room memorial contracts/endowments at the hospital, April 28, 1956. To top

Drawings and Blueprints, 1905-1928

Color Ward drawings (17 sheets)(1 linen; 16 tracing paper), 1905-1906

  • Folder os 1
Includes floor and roof plans, elevations, framing, details, and utilities. Floor plans include labels indicating each room's function. This building was never built. Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers. To top

[Main building?] second floor double doors plan (1 sheet) (tracing paper), undated

  • Folder os 2
Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers.
To top

[Main building] heating and ventilation plans (4 sheets) (linen), undated

  • Folder os 3
Plans include labels indicating each room's function. Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers.
To top

Main building plans (24 sheets) (tracing paper), 1905

  • Folder os 4
Includes proposed location (not used), floor and roof plans, elevations, framing, details, and utilities. Floor plans include labels indicating each room's function. Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers. Fragile: turn with both hands. To top

[Main building] alterations and additions (5 sheets) (blueprint), 1928 June 15

  • Folder os 5
Drawn by Clifford R. Reichert for Starks Building, Louisville, Ky.
To top

Researchers are required to have an SCRC Researcher Account in order to request or order digital copies of materials. Research Account set-up and use instructions can be found at: http://libguides.uky.edu/SCRCaccount

If you are visiting the Breckinridge Research Room, please request materials at least 48 business hours in advance of your arrival.

For all other questions, contact us at: https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.

Researchers are required to have an SCRC Researcher Account in order to request or order digital copies of materials. Research Account set-up and use instructions can be found at: http://libguides.uky.edu/SCRCaccount

If you are visiting the Breckinridge Research Room, please request materials at least 48 business hours in advance of your arrival.

For all other questions, contact us at: https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.

Requests

No items have been requested.