James Watt Raine Papers,1908-1949
- James Watt Raine Papers,1908-1949
- Raine, James Watt, ca. 1860-1949
- .4 lin. ft.
- Appalachia -- Culture
- Appalachia -- Ballads
- Appalachia -- Music, folk
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- Raine was born in Great Britain, and taught English at Berea College from 1906 to 1939. He was a close friend of Berea president, William Goodell Frost. Raine was an ordained minister and Shakespearian scholar, but after 1906 his primary interest seemed to be ballads and other aspects of mountain culture.
- Scope and Content
- These include ballads and songs collected by Raine beginning in 1908; typescripts of short stories, plays, and a book; notes on his lectures and courses at Berea College; a few pieces of correspondence; and a brief biographical sketch.