Clark Family Papers,1780-1833
- Clark Family Papers,1780-1833
- Clark Family
- 0.33 cubic ft.
- Clark, George Washington, 1798-1883-- Correspondence.
- Clark, William, 1770-1838-- Correspondence.
- United States-- Exploring expeditions.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Prominent Virginia and Kentucky family. Collection contains Clark Family correspondence, including William Clark letters, 1806-1816; land records of Clark land in Kentucky and Indiana; an early plat of Clarksville, Indiana; and George Washington Clark papers. One of the William Clark letters is his famous 23 September 1806 letter giving a partial account of the Lewis and Clark expedition. This letter was published in the Frankfort, Kentucky Palladium, 9 October 1806, was reprinted in other papers throughout the country, and announced to the nation the successful return of the expedition