John L. Martin Papers,1815-1853
- John L. Martin Papers,1815-1853
- Martin, John L., b. 1786
- 0.33 cubic ft.
- Martin, John, d. 1821.
- Fortification-- Kentucky-- History-- Sources.
- Kentucky-- History-- To 1792-- Sources.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Resident of Paris, Ky. Papers include correspondence, 1828-1853, regarding a land suit of the heirs of pioneer John Martin; politics of the Mexican War era; and events of Kentucky's pioneer history, particularly concerning Captain John Martin, his settling at Boonesborough, building his own fort, and the British and Indian attack on Martin's and Ruddle's stations. Also included are legal papers, 1815-1851; a Mexican license, 1826, to carry arms; and a Mexican passport, 1826