Paul Sawyier letters, 1911-1917
This collection consists letters written by the artist Paul Sawyier,dated 1911-1917, concerning Sawyier's work on paintings for Mr. King (J.J. King). King was president of the State National Bank in Frankfort, owned the Frankfort Hotel for over 40 years, was an instructor at the Cardome Academy in Georgetown, and was a patron of the arts. King became Paul Sawyier's benefactor and eventually owned about 60 of Sawyier's 100 watercolors.
- Paul Sawyier letters, 1911-1917
- Sawyier, Paul, 1865-1917
- 6 letters
- Sawyier, Paul, 1865-1917 -- Correspondence
- Oberwarth, Leo L. -- Correspondence
- King, John J., d. 1961 -- Correspondence
- Painters - Kentucky -- Correspondence
- This collection is arranged chronologically.
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Biography / History
- The painter Paul Sawyier was born in Madison County, Ohio, March 23, 1865, to a family of amateur artists. In 1870, the family moved to Frankfort, Kentucky. Sawyier attended the Cincinnati Art Academy in 1884-85 and then returned to Frankfort in 1886. There he began painting river scenes and landscapes. Sawyier continued his art studies in New York and Cincinnati, then returned again to Frankfort where he concentrated on landscape painting in a variety of media, including his favorite, watercolor. In 1913, he returned to New York and was commissioned to paint for New York art dealer Edward Jackson. His artwork, however, is best known in Kentucky. Popular prints include "Wapping Street Fountain," "The Old Capitol," "Winter in Kentucky," and "Old Covered Bridge." Paul Sawyier died and was buried in Fleischmann, New York, in 1917 but his remains were moved to Frankfort Cemetery in 1923. Bank president, hotelkeeper, artist, civil engineer, and big-game hunter John J. King was born in the late 19th century in Pennsylvania to John and Mary Welch King. His family moved to Louisville, Kentucky, a few years after his birth. His older brother, Thomas, drew him to Frankfort, Kentucky, where they were general contractors. King was president of the State National Bank in Frankfort, owned the Frankfort Hotel for over 40 years, was an instructor at the Cardome Academy in Georgetown, and was a patron of the arts. King became Paul Sawyier's benefactor and eventually owned about 60 of Sawyier's 100 watercolors. King died on June 6, 1961.
- Scope and Content
- This collection consists of six letters written by the artist Paul Sawyier. One letter, dated Sept. 18, 1911, was written to architect, Leo Oberwarth of Frankfort, Kentucky, and concerns Sawyier's work on four watercolor paintings for Mr. King (J.J. King). The other five letters, dated 1912-1917, are addressed to J.J. King of Frankfort, Kentucky and also concern Sawyier's work on paintings for King.