Walter Kenneth Clore photographs ,
Photographs of circa 1915 University of Kentucky student life.
- Walter Kenneth Clore photographs ,
- Clore, Walter Kenneth
- 0.04 cubic feet (1 box):57 items
- Clore, Walter Kenneth, ?-1972.
- University of Kentucky.
- Lexington (Ky.)
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
- Manners and customs --Kentucky -- Lexington.
- Women -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
- Photograph albums.
- This collection is arranged according to its original order.
- University of Kentucky
- Biography / History
- Walter Kenneth Clore (Kenneth) attended the University of Kentucky and graduated in 1915 with a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture. He was a member of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity, AZ Fat Stock Team, Kentuckian Business Staff, Class Baseball (1-2-3), Class Basket Ball (1), Strollers, Turtles, and the Agriculture Society. After World War I service Kenneth managed a sugar plantation in Cuba for the British American Sugar Company. After the plantation shut down in 1928 Kenneth, his wife Virginia Dunham Clore, and sons Walter and David moved back to Kentucky and then to Indianapolis. In Indianapolis he joined his brother, Dr. Earl Clore in the Hoosier Mineral Feed Company. Kenneth and family then moved to South Texas where he was employed with the Department of Agriculture. He was then transferred to Mexico as head of the agricultural mission in Mexico. He died in 1972.
- Scope and Content
- The Walter Kenneth Clore photographs consist of a photograph album. The photographs are unidentified, but according to the letter from Jean Phipps Clore in the donor file, the pictures are of "girls and Kenneth Clore's Kappa Sigma brothers". The photographs are a mix of small portraits (1 1/2" x 1 1/2") and casual snapshots. The photographs are pasted onto black album pages.
Contents of the Collection
- Box 1, item 1
"Virginia" photograph containing 2 women and a man, one of the women has an arrow pointing to her…
- Box 1, item 4
uncut row of 4 photographs of an unidentified woman (side view, reading a book, talking on phone…
- Box 1, item 7
"Harry Clare, Naomi Bruce" a man, woman, and horse (the photograph has detached from the scrapbook…
- Box 1, item 9
group portrait, some are holding kitchen items; unidentified woman; uncut row of 2 photographs of an…
- Box 1, item 11
an unidentified man, standing on the side of the street, crowd of people behind him on the sidewalk
- Box 1, item 12
unidentified woman; uncut row of 3 photographs of an unidentified woman, she is holding a parasol in…
- Box 1, item 13
appears to be of a flooded neighborhood
- Box 1, item 14
appears to be of a flooded street with business
- Box 1, item 15
unidentified woman wearing a straw hat; uncut row of 4 photographs of an unidentified woman, she is…
- Box 1, item 16
uncut row of 2 photographs of an unidentified young girl, hands behind her head in one picture…
- Box 1, item 17
- Box 1, item 19
unidentified woman holding a Cincinnati pendent; unidentified woman, has her hands behind her head…
- Box 1, item 19
a view through the trees, can see several houses in the background
- Box 1, item 20
Three unidentified women in a haystack; unidentified man talking on a phone; unidentified man…
- Box 1, item 21
unidentified woman wearing a top hat; unidentified young girl, her hand is on her ear; unidentified…
- Box 1, item 23
3 unidentified men sitting in 2 canoes
- Box 1, item 25
an unidentified man is diving into the water, there are 2 unidentified people in the background
- Box 1, item 26
4 tents set up with trees around them, 2 unidentified people in the photograph as well
- Box 1, item 27
2 unidentified woman standing on what appears to be train tracks, wearing hats
- Box 1, item 29
3 unidentified men (appear to be the same men as in image #35) sitting in a canoe
- Box 1, item 31
unidentified man in what appears to be a military uniform (the photograph has detached from the…
- Box 1, item 33
an unidentified man and woman riding in a horse drawn carriage
- Box 1, item 35
"Kenneth Clore" a group portrait of men(4 men) and woman (12 women) sitting on steps, there is an…
- Box 1, item 37
a blurry image of a group of unidentified men and women sitting around a table outside under a tent…
- Box 1, item 39
a group of 3 unidentified women, appear to be standing on rocks; a group of 5 unidentified men in a…
- Box 1, item 41
uncut row of 2 photographs of an unidentified woman, she is wearing an elaborate hat in one picture…
- Box 1, item 43
an unidentified woman standing next to a pillar on the porch
- Box 1, item 44
an unidentified older woman bending over, carrying 2 buckets; "Earl Clore" sitting on a horse, with…
- Box 1, item 45
unidentified women and a man
- Box 1, item 47
No items have been requested.
Researchers are encouraged to request collections at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Questions? Contact us at https://libraries.uky.edu/ContactSCRC.