Melville Otter Briney Papers,1858-1948
- Melville Otter Briney Papers,1858-1948
- Briney, Melville Otter, 1899-1986
- 1.33 cubic ft.
- China-- Description and travel.
- Europe-- Description and travel.
- Japan-- Description and travel.
- Louisville (Ky.)-- Social life and customs.
- Briney, John Otter, 1927-
- Briney, Russell, 1900-1966.
- Otter, John Delaware, 1871-1950.
- Otter, Melvilla Emmett, 1871-1936.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Columnist for the Louisville Times and author. Includes personal papers and diaries of the Otter and Briney family of Louisville, Kentucky. Included are letters, 1894-1896, between John Delaware Otter and Melvilla Carter during their courtship, and between Melville Otter and Russell Briney in 1926 during their courtship; diaries kept by her parents John Delaware and Melvilla Carter Otter for various years from 1887-1940 regarding day to day activities and trips to Europe, Asia, and Mexico; Melville Briney's memory books, 1912-1916, recording her activities while a teenager growing up on St. James Court in Louisville; and six issues of The Star, 1885, a periodical edited by John Otter, Neill Roach, and Swager Shirley. Card index in repository