William J. Hutchins Subject File,1896-ca. 1940
- William J. Hutchins Subject File,1896-ca. 1940
- Hutchins, William J.
- 4.4 lin. ft.
- World War I -- Young Men's Christian Association
- World War I -- Personal narratives
- Brooklyn, New York -- Marriage records
- Oberlin, Ohio -- Marriage records
- Madison County, Kentucky -- Marriage records
- Family life -- Madison County, Kentucky
- World War I -- Military life
- Military installations -- World War I
- Materials consist of miscellaneous official and personal papers of William J. Hutchins which have been given a subject arrangement.
- Berea College
- Scope and Content
- Included are copies of Hutchins's annual reports to the Board of Trustees (1921 - 1939); legal papers and correspondence relating to shares in the Aluminum Company of America that were bequeathed to Berea College by Charles M. Hall (n.d.); General Education Fund correspondence and reports (1920 - 1922); miscellaneous marriage certificates from Brooklyn, New York, Oberlin, Ohio, and Berea, Kentucky (1896 - 1926); annual reports of Berea faculty and staff (1921 - 1939); Presidential Reports (1920 - 1935); and materials relating to Hutchins's work as YMCA National War Work Council Camp Director at Camp Sheridan (Alabama) during World War I from August, 1917 to January, 1918.
- Camp Sheridan materials consist of Hutchins's letters to his wife and family from Camp Sheridan in Montgomery, Alabama; fragments of a diary; and reports by Hutchins on tours of other camps.
- Correspondence includes Hutchins's letters to his wife, Anna, and to other family members. These detail Hutchins's reaction to the enlistment of his sons William J. Hutchins and Robert Maynard Hutchins, and other family affairs; and also reflect Hutchins's daily activities at camp. Also included are Hutchins's reports on religious programs of the YMCA at various other army camps in the South.
- Folder list; unpublished guide.
- Camp Sheridan diaries and notes are unreadable at points because of acid and storage damage.