Ruth Knarr Yerkey Papers (Record Group 83), 1924-1928
- Ruth Knarr Yerkey Papers (Record Group 83), 1924-1928
- Yerkey, Ruth Knarr, d.1987
- .25 cubic feet, 350 items, 1 box
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Biography / History
- Mrs. Ruth Knarr Yerkey, who was known as "Rufy" during her years at Eastern, graduated from Eastern Kentucky State Normal School and Teachers College in 1928 with a bachelor's degree in history. She also attended the University of Cincinnati, Miami University of Ohio, and the University of Kentucky. She taught for forty-one years in the Newport City Schools, both in the elementary schools and junior high schools.
- She was married in 1944 to William T. Yerkey. Following her retirement, they traveled extensively, going around the world. They especially enjoyed the European countries and Alaska. Memories of these jaunts were shared with others through slide presentations. Volunteer work, especially in historic preservation, was also important during these years.
- Mrs. Yerkey died on February 4, 1987 at Ft. Thomas, Kentucky where she had spent most of her life.
- Scope and Content
- This was a carefully preserved collection consisting of a number of photographs and memorabilia from Eastern Kentucky State Normal School and Teachers College, 1924-28, the years Mrs. Yerkey was a student here. This collection gives a brief composite of Mrs. Yerkey's years as a co-ed from a picture of the freshmen class, 1924, to herself in cap and gown upon her graduation. This collection also contains items relating to the social and academic climate of Eastern at that time.
- This collection is divided into two series: Photographs and Publications/Memorabilia.