Griffith (D.W.) Film Festival Collection.ca. 1915-1976
- Griffith (D.W.) Film Festival Collection.ca. 1915-1976
- D.W. Griffith Film Festival
- one box
- University of Louisville
- Scope and Content
- D.W. Griffith, a native of Louisville, found national prominence as a producer of silent movies in the early days of film. In honor of her native son, two Louisville institutions, WAVE-TV and the University College of the University of Louisville sponsored the D.W. Griffith Film Festival in connection with an amateur film contest. Inaugarated in 1970, the film festival enjoyed local and national attention. Unlike other national film festivals, the Griffith Festival included a silent film catagory, the media of D.W. Griffith. Although University College discontinued its support in 1972, the idea was picked up by the Speed Museum, who holds the D.W. Griffith Film Festival annually.
- One box contains the collection and covers all aspects of planning and implementation. Notes, correspondence and proposal drafts relate the many details involved in planning. Newsclippings and press releases provide background information on the festival and D.W. Griffith. Applications reflects the concerns and interests of young filmmakers in the early 1970s. The collection rounds out with judge's comment sheets and photographs of various films.
Contents of the Collection
First Annual D.W. Griffith Film Festival.
Second Annual D.W. Griffith Film Festival.
Third Annual D.W. Griffith Film Festival.
Application Forms--1970. .
Application Forms--1971. .
Application Forms--1972. .
Judges Work Sheet I.
Judges Work Sheet II.
Memos and Notes.
Other Film Festivals.
Schlesinger Film Festival--1971. .
"U of L to offer course on films". , April 28, 1970.
"Film class enrolls 20 with as many interests". , May 12, 1970.
"Miss Cooper's `lovely life' includes Griffith's movies". , May 16, 1970.
" `Hospital' documentary wins a pair of Emmys". , May 19, 1970.
"The art of film: an exciting event". , May 20, 1970.
"D.W. Griffith sleuth still searching". , October 16, 1970.
"Titles promise intriguing film fare at U of L Griffith Student Festival". , April 23, 1971.
"Film festival entries reflect maker's ideals". , April 24, 1971.
"South California films win 5 of 6 top Griffith festival awards". , April 25, 1971.
"Hour show on TV covers the first Griffith festival". , August 10, 1970.
- Box 1, page 5
D.W. Griffith Film Festival.
1) "West Texas" writer-director, Alan Gadney, blocks action for veteran actress, Florence Lake…
2) "West Texas" - Cast of Western portion standing in front of a sod house constructed on location…
3) "West Texas" U.S.C. Cinema Department student crew filming on location of Western farm set built…
4) "West Texas" - Students from Dept. Of Cinema, Univ. of Southern California, Los Angeles, film…
5) MOMA Film Library #1 (street scene).
6) MOMA Film Library #6 (little girl with a cow).
7) MOMA Film Library #8 (people lined up for provisions).
- Box 1, folder XVIII