James W. Thomson Diary, 1862 Jan. 1-Nov. 30
- James W. Thomson Diary, 1862 Jan. 1-Nov. 30
- Thomson, James W., 1836-1911
- 1 v.
- United States.-- Army-- Military life-- History-- 19th century.
- United States.-- Army.-- Indiana Infantry Regiment, 49th (1861-1865)-- History.
- Indiana-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Sources.
- Kentucky-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Sources.
- Mill Springs (Ky.), Battle of, 1862-- Sources.
- Tennessee-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Sources.
- United States-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Regimental histories.
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Union soldier from Ind. Thomson was commissioned a second lieutenant of Company B of the 49th Indiana from Jeffersonville, Ind., and was later promoted to captain. Consists of daily entries describing the weather, his units location, encounters with the Confederate Army, his movements through Ky., and his company's involvement in the Cumberland Gap area of Ky. and Tenn. Also included is a list of soldiers left along the roadside because of illness, and other lists that might by for the purpose of payment of money or the issuing of supplies to the troops. Card index in repository