Sir James Wellwood Papers,1840
- Sir James Wellwood Papers,1840
- Wellwood, James, 1776-1851
- 2 items
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- This collection contains a letter, dated May 22, 1840, by Lord Moncreiff to Henry Clay, in response to an offer by Clay to assist him with information concerning some trust land in Kentucky left to Moncreiff and "some other gentlemen", even though Clay and Moncreiff were not acquainted. The parcels of land in question were recorded at Elizabethtown and were described as lying on the waters of the Green River in Hardin County. Moncreiff reported seeing other descriptions of land in "Graystown" [Grayson, Butler, and Ohio counties, which could include his holdings.
- Attached is a letter to Clay, dated August 10, 1840, by Morgan Lewis in Staatsburgh, New York, enclosing the letter by Moncreiff and explaining the delay in its transmission.
- Arrangement: Chronological
- Variant Name: Morgan Lewis Papers
- Creator's Occupation: Scottish Baronet
- County: Fayette; Hardin; Grayson; Butler; Ohio