The Papers of EKU Women,1955-1982
- The Papers of EKU Women,1955-1982
- Eastern Kentucky Women
- 3.45 cubic feet, 9000 items, 4 Boxes
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Biography / History
- EKU Women was first organized in 1955 by Verda Hatch and Emma Jaggers as Faculty Wives. It was begun as a social organization for wives of faculty members and as a stepping-stone to meeting wives of new faculty members. This met with the approval of President W.F. O'Donnell, as long as the group did "not interfere in any way with the college." Meetings were at first confined to luncheons and bridge games; however, very soon husbands were included during dances and certain other social events. By the second year, meetings were changed to dinners in the Blue Room of the Keen Johnson Building with bridge and conversation following. Beginning in 1961, entertainment for the members included flower arranging and a style show. For several years members provided Christmas gifts for the Telford Community Center. In later years food fairs, craft fairs, brunches, and certain stage productions were included. Some off-campus tours were coffee at the governor's mansion with Governor and Mrs. Louie Nunn and a trip to the antique shops in Washington, Kentucky. Over the years, home tours of members or of historic homes in Richmond have been conducted. Special events for newcomers are scheduled annually. Progressive dinners and hayrides have been given. In 1973, a scholarship fund was established. Using proceeds from the spring style show and certain other monies, EKU Women now provides a modest stipend for deserving young women during the senior year.
- When university status was achieved in 1966, the name of the organization was changed from Faculty Wives to EKU Women. At this time, it was decided to include in their membership women faculty members. From the first meeting in 1955, the number of members has grown from nineteen to over three hundred. The first constitution was written in 1965 and has been revised several times.
- The organization continues to grow and prosper, assimilating new ideas and establishing new goals. It remains among the most prestigious women's group in Richmond, Kentucky.
- Scope and Content
- The EKU Women Papers are comprised of scrapbooks and printed directories for many of the years from the organization's inception in 1955 until 1983. During many of these years, especially the early years, directories were not published and few papers were generated. The growth and scope of the organization is traced in these papers as new roles and responsibilities emerge.
- These papers are divided into three series: the Historical Series, the Scrapbook Series, and the Publications Series. Detailed descriptions are give of each series. Organization of the collection included arranging material chronologically and photocopying many of the clippings. Duplicate items were discarded. A short history of the club written by Syble Miller was most helpful in the writing of the historical sketch. Each item was carefully evaluated and organized to the best advantage for use by future researchers. It is assumed that more material will be added to the collection in following years.