John C. Campbell Folk School Records,1909-1981
- John C. Campbell Folk School Records,1909-1981
- John C. Campbell Folk School
- .4 lin. ft.
- Schools, folk -- John C. Campbell Folk School
- Appalachia -- Education, adult
- Clay County, North Carolina -- Schools, folk
- Appalachia -- Schools, folk
- Brasstown, North Carolina -- John C. Campbell Folk School
- Education, adult -- Scandinavia
- Denmark -- Description and travel
- Berea College
- Biography / History
- The School was established in Brasstown, North Carolina in 1925 by Olive Dame Campbell and Marguerite Butler (later Bidstrup) on a Scandanavian model to promote adult education in a cultural context.
- Scope and Content
- These publications and correspondence relate to the John C. Campbell Folk School and its founders.Included are a chart of John C. Campbell's travels through the mountains in 1909; both his and Olive Dame Campbell's correspondence, including letters from Olive Dame Campbell to Berea President William Hutchins, written while she was in Denmark in 1922; and articles published by or about the Campbells. Correspondence from Marguerite Butler Bidstrup and later directors of the school, publications, clippings, and articles about the school are also present.