Matthews Family Papers,1912-1941
- Matthews Family Papers,1912-1941
- Matthews Family
- 1 cubic ft.
- Afro-Americans-- Kentucky-- Louisville-- History-- 20th century.
- Afro-Americans-- Kentucky-- Louisville-- History-- Sources.
- Kentucky Commission on Interracial Relations-- History-- Sources.
- Louisville (Ky.)-- Race relations.
- Morrow, Edwin Porch, 1877-1932.
- Red Cross Hospital (Louisville, Ky.)-- History-- Sources.
- Sons of the American Revolution.-- Kentucky Society-- History-- Sources.
- World War, 1914-1918-- Participation, Afro-American.
- Young Men's Christian Associations.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Collection consists of letters, pamphlets, essays, advertising and fund raising cards. The letters concern African-American school affairs, Central High School, as well as civic, church, and YMCA activities. Included is a report from the Kentucky Commission on Interracial Cooperation on housing and home life conditions in Ky. and Louisville. The collection gives an overview of African -American aspirations and involvement in the Louisville area in the early 20th century. Card index in repository