- Ballard-Winlock-Scearce Collectionn.d.
- Ballard Family; Winlock Family; Scearce Family
- 12 cubic feet, plus 8 volumes
- Ballard family -- Correspondence
- Ballard family
- Ballard, Addison M.
- Ballard, Bland, 1761-1853
- Marriage records--Kentucky
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Biography / History
- The local records in the collection were copied and indexed by Camden W. Ballard of Shelbyville, Ky. in the 1920s. Interested in local history and its preservation, Mr. Ballard proceeded to copy, index and cross-reference marriage records, wills and deeds from county record books. Of note are the cross-indexed records by "Brides" surname.
- The family records pertain mainly to the Ballard and Winlock families of Shelby County and provide information on the families and the history of Shelby County.
- Scope and Content
- This collection consists of two series: family records about the Ballard, Winlock and Scearce families, copies of local records. Included in the family scrapbooks are letters, photographs, reminiscences, legal papers, and genealogical information. The local records series contain abstract of marriage, will and deed information. Also contained in this series are indexes to local marriages and deeds. There are two oversized boxes that hold materials from each series.
- Variant Name: Camden W. Ballard Family Collection
- Counties: Franklin County, Lincoln County, Spencer County, Mercer County, Nelson County, Fayette County, Washington County, Madison County, Boone County, Shelby County
Contents of the Collection
Inventories, original documents, family papers, etc.
Box lists & cataloging sheet
Copy of Mrs. F.E. Ballard Sr.'s book & Mrs. H. Scearce's "Hometown Memories" talk
Tablet indexes go to scrapbooks (box 7), folders (box 1), & small notebooks (box 1)
Old Deposition 1796-1818 (Painted Stone / Squire Boone Station) (copy in substance)
C.W. Ballard clippings
Copies of writings of Florence Effie Ballard (indexed on folder)
Notice of Joseph Winlock article by Joseph Lovering
Shelby College property & faculty (copy)
Shelby County Historical Society - Bylaws
Interview with Anthony Waddy Street - 1917?
Copies of Early Shelbyville history
Copy of local school info
New Market House - copy
Copy of Shelbyville document plan
Letters - 1846-1870. To/from Joseph Winlock
to Dr. A.C. Weakley
from Uncle Fielding M. Ballard
Shelby Graded School
R.C. Ballard Thruston. Letter.
Waters Family connection. 1843 letter. From Black Book.
C.W. Ballard's little notebooks (3)
Books: Brown leather C.W. Ballard Book
Unrecorded Deeds. Index.
Marriage Abstracts & Index Books
Straight Index #5 (moved with indexes)
Record of Marriages: Franklin County, Lincoln County, Spencer County, Mercer County, Nelson County, Others
Mercer County wills, Jefferson County & Florence, Ky. marriages
Marriages: Forquier County, VA - 1759-1800, Fayette County
Marriages: Washington County, Fayette Co; Pensions for Revolutionary Soldiers, Other misc. genealogical information
Grave yard burials: Shelby County
Marriages: Nelson County, Madison County
Straight Index* #4 (moved with indexes)
Inquires & correspondence found in files
Marriages - A-Z (20 files)
Shelbyville lots #1-170 (2 files)
Wills - A-Z (20 files)
- Box 3
Deeds - A-Z (21 files, no preservation done)
- Box 4
Deeds - A2-M2 (13 files, no preservation done)
- Box 5
Deeds - N2-Z2 (13 files, no preservation done)
- Box 6
Scrapbooks Oversized Indexes
Oversized Index Book List
Straight Index No.1: Marriage Books - 1792-1842
Straight Index No.2: Marriage Books - 1848-1885
Straight Index No.3: Marriage Books - 1886-1920
Cross Index (Marriage records) No. 1 - 1793-1869
Cross Index (Marriage records) No. 2 - 1869-1930
Index No.1 to Deed Books - A-T
Index No.2 to Deed Books - U-Z, A2-M2
Index No.3 to Deed Books - N2-Z2
Table of Contents
- Descriptive Summary
- Collection Overview
- Preferred Citation
- Contents of the Collection