Arithmetic Books, 1822-1832
- Arithmetic Books, 1822-1832
- Ligon, John B.
- 1 box,.5 c.f. (5 vols.)
- Ligon, John B. -- Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
- Arithmetic -- Problems, exercises, etc.
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- This collection consists of five arithmetic books, circa 1822-1832. One of the books was apparently used for other subjects as well; it contains a list of rules of punctuation, handwriting drills, and samples of contracts.
- The books were all handwritten by John B. Ligon of Owen County, Kentucky. Three of the volumes have a crude cover made of pulp paper, burlap, and newsprint. Two do not have covers and one appears to be incomplete. One of the books is inscribed with the heading, "Arithmetic Improved; or, a concise and perspicuous system of decimal arithmetic."
- All contain exercises and story problems in basic arithmetic, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, proportions, and simple interest. They have tables of weights and measures, with the formulas and relationships of troy and avoirdupois weights, apothecaries weights, long measures, land measures, cloth measures, liquid measures, dry measures, time, and circle measures. One of the books gives the formula for gauging the volume of a cask.
- Formulas for converting the value of federal currency to that of Maryland, Virginia, and Georgia are included. The sections on money also include exercises in adding and subtracting English money, with a chart for converting pounds, shillings, and farthings.
- The collection also includes poll tax receipts dating from 1823 to 1832 (county not identified), and a few loose papers with handwriting samples and arithmetic problems.
- Variant Name: John B. Ligon, Arithmetic Books.
- County: Owen
Contents of the Collection
Arithmetic books, ca. 1820's
- Box 1, folder 1
- Box 1, folder 2
- Box 1, folder 3
- Box 1, folder 4
- Box 1, folder 5
Poll tax receipts and misc. papers
- Box 1, folder 6
- Box 1, folder 6