Viglini Family Photograph Collection, 1898-ca. 1929
- Viglini Family Photograph Collection, 1898-ca. 1929
- Viglini Family
- 11 items
- Dwellings-- Kentucky-- Louisville-- Photographs.
- Viglini, Pierre, d. 1915-- Pictorial works.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Pierre Viglini (d. 1915), a native of Richmond, Va., became president of the German Bank in Louisville. In 1889 he purchased a tract of land on what is now Lexington Road in eastern Louisville. A house on the tract was remodeled by the Viglini Family at the turn of the century. In 1925 the Viglini estate was one of two estates acquired for development of a subdivision known as Cherokee Gardens. It was laid out by the Olmsted Brothers landscape architectural firm, successor to Frederick Law Olmsted, Brookline, Mass. The collection contains photographs of the Viglini house and grounds, probably made in the early 1920s just before the estate was sold. Also in the collection is a promotional brochure for Cherokee Gardens, a photograph of Pierre Viglini, and a photograph of a child taken by Kate Matthews, well-known photographer of Pewee Valley, Ky