Butler (Charlotte Wimp and Donald M.) Papers, 1905-1980
- Butler (Charlotte Wimp and Donald M.) Papers, 1905-1980
- Butler, Charlotte Wimp, 1895-1991; Butler, Donald M., 1897-1980
- 2.75 linear ft.
- University of Louisville
- Biography / History
- Graduates of the University of Louisville, Donald M., '21 DDS and Charlotte Wimp, '17 BA were devoted fans of the University's athletic teams. Dr. Butler was known to have donned his U of L sweater and paraded around his home town of Sullivan, Illinois whenever U of L's basketball team won a game and they clipped and saved all references to the University. These papers were donated by their daughter Elizabeth Butler Halttunen.
- Charlotte Wimp, a native of Louisville, attended U of L from 1912 to 1917. She was an avid outdoors woman who loved hiking, camping and basketball. She organized a girls group of the Boy Scouts of America in 1911-1912. While at U of L she played on the women's basketball team, serving as captain in her sophomore year.
- After graduation, Charlotte worked for one year as a practice teacher at the Second Ward School in Louisville and the next year found her employed as a Way Bill Clerk for the Louisville and Nashville Railroad.
- Charlotte was a prolific letter writer. During WWI she corresponded with several young men friends who had joined the armed forces. Their answering letters reflect the hurry up and wait life in camp and the boredom of being overseas in a tent in France. Charlotte helped relieve their home sickness and boredom with her newsy letters and cartoons.
- Donald Butler, a native of Sullivan, Illinois, graduated from college in Illinois, and taught for one year before entering the U of L Dental School. He was active in basketball and track in high school and college. While in Dental School he played on the men's basketball team, serving as captain one year. He was named to the All-State team his senior year. He retained his interest in track, and ran and won a race on New Years Day 1921 on Broadway. He helped organize and raise money for an indoor track meet held at the Armory that same year.
- Donald Butler graduated from Dental School in 1921. He and Charlotte Wimp were married in the summer of 1921 and moved to Sullivan where he practiced dentistry for many years. They had four children and were both active community leaders.
- This collection includes the servicemen's letters, newspaper clippings of the U of L Women's and Men's basketball games during the years the Butlers were playing, photographs, Charlotte's highschool memorabilia, and items from U of L. Included are papers containing University of Louisville memorabilia collected by the Butlers, particularly Charlotte, who attended the University of Louisville from 1912 to 1917 and played on the women's basketball team. The major topics contained in this collection are University of Louisville men's and women's basketball from 1913 to 1921. Also included is material relating to the Louisville public schools, particularly Girls High School, and letters from the Butlers' friends serving in World War I. Charlotte Wimp Butler has also contributed a taped reminiscence, ca. 1985, of her days as a player on the University of Louisville women's basketball team.
Contents of the Collection
13:to Donald Butler
1: Mens football and basketball: 1913,1914,1916,1920,1921.
2: Girls basketball:1914,1915,1916,1917.
3: D.Butler track: 1920,1921.
4: Center-Harvard football:1920,1921.
5: UofL NIT Championship game 1956.
6: Louisville Girls High 1956.
7: early Girls Scout troop 1956.
8: UofL professor 1962.
9: biographical sketch of Dr. Butler 1980.
10: miscellaneous clippings pertaining to C.W.Butler's family.
1: D.M.Butler race 1920.
2: C.W.Butler photographs 1912- May 1914.
3: May 1914-June 1917.
4: Summer 1917- November 1918.
5: Miscellaneous photographs 1911-1918.
6: UofL girls basketball squad 1914-1915.
7. 1919 U of L Girls basketball alumni team.
8: D.M.Butler class reunion photographs 1951,1961.
IV. Family memorabilia
AMA Archives of Internal Medicine, 1921.
Boy Scout Handbook (2).
Boy Scout Merit Badge book.
Eternal Vistas, Cave Hill Cemetery.
International Scholastic Athletic (Illinois).
Kentucky Cardinal, 1922.
The Record, Louisville Girls High, 1910-12, 1922 (inc.).
Plugger, yearbook; 1917, 1918.
United Daughters of Confederacy Magazine, Nov. 1963, July 1964.
UofL Alumni Magazine, Fall 1986.
UofL Alumni Newspaper, July 1973, November 1973, Spring 1974, Autumn 1974.
UofL College of Dentistry graduation announcement; 1919, 1921.
UofL commencement program, 1921.
Charlotte W. Butler basketball uniform.
- Box 3
Donald M.Butler basketball uniform.
- Box 3