Shelley Family Papers1863-1940 (bulk 1874-1876, 1916)
- Shelley Family Papers1863-1940 (bulk 1874-1876, 1916)
- Shelley Family
- 9 items
- Kentucky Historical Society
- Biography / History
- Mary R. Shugart Shelley Davis is the link between the Shugarts, the Shelleys and the Davises. Her first husband was Anderson Shelley.
- Scope and Content
- This collection is a group of letters and family records which concern three families: the Shugarts, the Davises, and the Shelleys. W. M. and M. A. Shelley, along with relations at various times, resided in Clinton County, Kentucky.
- Extensive records of the family history of the Shugarts and the Shelleys are included. Two letters speak to various political and social topics. The February 6, 1863, letter discusses the Civil War from a Confederate viewpoint. The writer speaks of those who have "acted badly" by fighting "for Old Abe against their own state," which is Tennessee. Another letter describes a baby as "as fat a boy as Kentucky affords." The November 22, 1874, letter speaks about the "Grangers" and the equal rights that women enjoyed with men within this group.
- The will of Sarah J. Shelley, the daughter of Mary R. Davis, is also included.
- Arrangement: Chronological
- Variant Name: Davis and Shugart Family Papers
- County: Clinton.