Hamilton Smith Papers,1838-1840
- Hamilton Smith Papers,1838-1840
- Smith, Hamilton, 1804-1875
- .33 cu. ft.
- Banks and banking.
- Public works-- United States.
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Prominent commercial in Louisville (Ky.) who was a leader in promoting the city's development. Business correspondence dealing with individuals and banks from Kentucky, Indiana, Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, and New York primarily are concerned with debt collection. Includes 22 May 1839 letter of introduction for the Chavalier de Gertsner employed by Tsar Nicholas I of Russia to study public works projects in the United States. Card file in repository