John Mason Brown Diary, 1861
- John Mason Brown Diary, 1861
- Brown, John Mason, 1837-1890
- 1 v. (197 p. )
- Indians of North America-- West (U.S.)-- Social life and customs.
- West (U.S.)-- Description and travel.
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Lawyer, soldier, historian. Brown's diary chronicles his trip from St. Louis to Oregon and California and back and the means of transportation he used. He describes his party's route, experiences, the geography and geology of the areas traversed, the Indian tribes encountered, linguistics, and military affairs. This diary was published in The Filson Club Quarterly 24 (April, July 1950