Charles Ripley Photograph Collection, ca. 1850-ca. 1929
- Charles Ripley Photograph Collection, ca. 1850-ca. 1929
- Ripley, Charles, 1816-1866
- 24 items
- Lawyers-- Kentucky-- Louisville-- Photographs.
- Ripley, Garnett Duncan-- Pictorial works.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Charles Ripley, attorney, was born in Greenfield, Mass., graduated from Dartmouth College, and came to Louisville in the 1830s. He practiced law in his adopted city until his death in 1866. He was a member of the General Council in Louisville, the Kentucky House of Representatives, and the Kentucky Senate. The collection contains family photographs, including an ambrotype of Mrs. Thomas W. Ripley, mother of Charles Ripley, a hand -colored photograph of Garnett Duncan Ripley (son of Charles Ripley) with his black nurse, "Aunt Winnie," and a tinted photograph on milk glass of Margaret Breckinridge Ripley (Mrs. Charles Ripley). Other identified persons include Garnett Duncan, Thomas W. and Ella G. Ripley, Jr., and Elsie P.G. Ripley