Dr. George G. Greene Collection,[1845?-1985?]
- Dr. George G. Greene Collection,[1845?-1985?]
- Greene, George G.,1912-1986
- .5 cubic ft.
- Albumen prints.
- Dudley, Benjamin W. (Benjamin Winslow), 1785-1870.
- Peter, Robert, 1805-1894.
- Physicians -- Kentucky.
- Universities and colleges -- Kentucky -- Lexington -- Faculty -- Photographs
- Universities and colleges -- Kentucky -- Lexington -- Faculty.
- Abnormalities, Human -- Photographs.
- Bush, James Mills, 1808-1875.
- Medicine -- Kentucky -- Fayette County -- History.
- Medicine -- Kentucky -- Owen County.
- Physicians -- Kentucky -- Photographs.
- Transylvania University -- Faculty -- Photographs.
- Transylvania University
- Biography / History
- George G. Greene graduated from Transylvania University in 1935 and earned a medical degree from the University of Louisville in 1938. He practiced medicine in Lexington, Kentucky and was an associate clinical professor at the University of Kentucky Medical School. He was the author of numerous articles on medicine and medical history.
- Scope and Content
- This collection includes a series of photographic images related to medicine, that were collected by Dr. George G. Greene; and a series of speeches and papers by Greene on the history of medicine in Kentucky. |b Among the images are a series of daguerreotypes showing patients with various deformaties including a hair-lip and large tumors on the face and arm (ca. 1845-1850). Some of the images appear to show the same patients after treatment. One includes Dr. James Mills Bush, a graduate of Transylvania University (1833) who later taught anatomy and surgery at the university (1844-1857). The collection also includes an albumen print of Dr. Robert Peter, professor of chemistry and pharmacy at Transylvania (1838-1857). |b Among the subjects covered in Greene's speeches and papers are Dr. Benjamin Winslow Dudley, noted surgeon and early professor of anatomy and surgery at Transylvania; physicians from Transylvania; and medicine in Owen County, Kentucky.