Return Jonathan Meigs Letters,1818-1820
- Return Jonathan Meigs Letters,1818-1820
- Meigs, Return Jonathan, 1764-1824
- 3 items
- Clay, Henry, 1777-1852-- Correspondence.
- Fowler, John, 1775-1840.
- Postal service-- Kentucky-- History-- Sources.
- The Filson Historical Society
- Scope and Content
- Ohio pioneer, politician, governor of Ohio, and U.S. senator. Included are his 24 Jan. 1818 letter to Dillon Murphy regarding Peter Williams's contract to carry the mail on Ohio post route 152; and his 17 July 1820 letter to Henry Clay discussing the disagreements he was having with Clay's friend Captain John Fowler. Also included is a newspaper clipping telling the story of how Meigs came to be named "Return Jonathan